SB or IB ?...SB or IB ?....SB or IB ?

Hellstalker

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Ok... now Im really gonna jump off a bridge.
I waited about 3 weeks until the z77 MoBo where finally available and was about to bite the bullet and place my order when I find that IB CPUs will come out some time next week.
What makes me so angry is the fact that I never like to jump on first releases of anything (be it cell phones, hardware, OSes) but I really need to assemble my PC right away and want to take advantage of the new PCIEx 3.0 video card Im buying.... GAHHHHHH....!!!!

So now I'm stuck between buying a mature and relatively "problem free" i5 2500K or wait 2 more weeks and buy a potential trouble (albeit more expensive) i5 3570K just to take have PCIEx 3.0. :cry:

What do you guys think I should do?

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Go with Sandybridge. I have read reports (sorry don't have the links atm) that IB is not much faster than SB and that IB has heat issues when overclocked. My gut says that IB is not going to be as great as everyone thinks. Hmmmm... a CPU overhyped before its launch and not meeting expectations....sounds eerily familiar =)

G

if the ONLY reason you are wanting an ivy cpu is pci 3.0 don't wait

there will be no performance difference between pci 2.0 and 3.0 since cards do not saturate the bandwidth of 2.0 yet.

actually there has been some improvement shown between 2 and 3 on a gtx 680. so the HD8XXX and the GTX 7XX will see a benefit/bottleneck. how long do you intend to keep your platform for?

G

got a link for that?
sorry only seen them reviewed with a sandy processor, PCI 2.0.

Hellstalker

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I usually upgrade when either my rig is seriously outdated or a critical component like the CPU or MoBo go feet up. My current rig was a Q6600 on a Rampage Extreme which was working well until a heatpipe got busted and puked all its contains over the PEM circuit so now it wont boot

G

IMHO there is no reason to wait for ivy. there is a little debate on the ivy/haswell thread about ivy getting hot when overclocking.
Ivy Bridge/Haswell: News, Rumors & Reviews - Page 72
as far as Z77 motherboards . .meh same as a Z68 with a few more bells and whistles. no difference in performance.
different boards
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5728/intel-z77-panther-point-chipset-and-motherboard-preview-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-and-biostar
Z77 and Z68
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/37481-intel-z77-chipset-gigabyte-z77-d3h-motherboard/