2600K or 3820 for AutoCAD

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hello,

I need a faster workstation for 2D AutoCAD work. I will be getting into Revit MEP work later this year. The whole story is over in Homebuilt, if anyone is interested, or finds the complete context helpful (a little lengthy).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/342706-31-budget-workstation

CPU's:

I got the i7-2600K on sale for $200 this weekend, and had planned to slowly assemble a new build around that. Then I stumbled across a couple of sources that hinted at the greater memory bandwidth of the x79 motherboards being good for increasing productivity of CAD-related work. Then I read other sources that refuted those opinions/claims. I need to know, before I sell this 2600K and invest in an LGA 2011 system - Will the quad-channel RAM and extra PCI-e lanes result in a tangible difference when working with 2D AutoCAD and other programs, like solid-modeling, or should I continue to build my 2600K system? I am not concerned with the cost increase for the 3820 processor as it is also kind of inexpensive at Micro Center, but I need more input on the advantage (or not) of the x79 motherboard in CAD work before I think about spending ~$300+ for the mobo. This will be my primary workstation to last me until post-Haswell or later before the next major upgrade, so if it is worth it, I could spend more for the LGA 2011 system.

Solution

nna2

Distinguished

i would keep the system you have, there will be a boost, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=288... but i wouldnt say its worth it

and as far as the pci lanes go, it will only really matter if your putting multiple gpu's in the system

Solution

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I forgot to mention that the 3820 is on sale at Micro Center right now for $250. This cuts into the extra price of the x79 mobo, so the platform is still a little more expensive than the 2600K platform, but we are only talking $50-$80 difference now. Is this still bad choice given the low price on the 3820?

nna2

Distinguished

how much are you planning to sell your previous cpu/mobo for? coz if your spending 50-100$ why not

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
The plan is to keep my existing i5 rig in a different capacity. After much consideration (and being tempted by the $499 deal on the 3930K at Micro Center going on right now), I have decided to stick with the 2600K for my new build, and wait to see what Haswell/Broadwell bring to the table in the next couple of years. Thanks for the advice, though.