Bought a new graphics card and now I get no display, even with the old.

sundizzel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Here are my specs:
MB: Asus P7P55D Pro
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 275
CPU: Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20 GHz
RAM: Corsair 2x2GB XMS3 DDR3
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Management 750 Watts

I bought a Sapphire HD Radeon 6870 to upgrade from my GTX 275. I replaced the card, but I received no output on the screen. Everything inside the computer was working; all fans (including the GPU) and there was no beeping. I can't figure out what the problem is. My monitor is a DVI port, and I'm hooking it up to the GPU's DVI port.

I tried to plug in my old GPU, and now I get the same results--no display. I've tried moving the PCI-E port, but that didn't work either (I was only able to achieve this with the new card because my old GTX 275 does not fit in any slot except the first one). I can't get this off of my mind, and I just spent so much money on buying this and getting ready for Skyrim. It comes out soon, and I'm totally screwed unless I can figure this out. Pleas help!

I also don't have an on-board VGA (my MB has no port for it). Suggestions so far have been:
Change PCI-E slot
Run on-board VGA
Clean PCI-E Slot

I've done all of these things to no avail.

I also replaced some of the RAM with 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3, but reverted back to my original RAM to lessen any problems; the MemOK light is on, so I don't think the RAM has any problems.

AGAIN, everything is on and working, nothing is beeping, but I don't have any display on the monitor. The monitor does recognize when I connect the cord by outputting "No Signal", but that just disappears, and when I turn the computer on, the screen remains black.

sundizzel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I'm not sure how I can reset BIOS; I can't even get the screen to turn on when I boot up, so I have no way to access BIOS--can I get around this somehow? Yes, the power is hooked up correctly through the wall outlet, everything is turning on and running. I don't know about the drivers; I haven't even been able to get to the boot screen; NO display whatsoever.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I had the same problem, everything turned on, heard one beep but no video. culprit: loose hdmi cable. I sometimes have to wiggle the cable a bit because its janky. Probably is not that simple but it is worth a try. You could also try connecting via vga cable or a different cable to make sure its not that.

sundizzel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

I reset the BIOS by moving the jumper as you said (from default 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 and then back again after a few seconds). I made sure that the PSU is directly connected to the GPU with the "PCI-Express" cable. I'm not sure what's wrong... Did I mess up the PCI-E port? Does that make sense... if so, what options do I have?

sundizzel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

I've unplugged and replugged many times by this point; however, I did try using an HDMI-DVI converter, just the DVI, and a DVI-VGA connector. However, none of these worked and all returned the same result--nothing.

sundizzel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I've taken your advice on breadboarding, and it has suggested that the RAM is shorting my PSU because before the RAM, it beeps, meaning it needs memory. After I put the RAM in, no beeps indicates that the RAM is shorting the PSU (according to jsc). If there are other reasons for this, please let me know. I'm going to continue my laboring tomorrow, hoping to be able to identify the problem before Skyrim midnight launch. My other hypotheses include: my monitor decided to hate me; my motherboard got fucked.

sundizzel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
But its not beeping to recognize that there is no VGA; isn't that a problem? Jsc said that no beeps after the RAM is in means that the RAM is shorting the PSU. I hope there's nothing wrong with any of my hardware, but I'll be going at it again today.