Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Adding HDD to a Win 7 system with SSD

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2012 10:42:02 PM

I have built a new system with an SSD. Everything works.

Now I'm trying to add the HDD. My BIOS does not show both drives. Only one is ever shown and this seems to depend on which SATA input I plug the SSD and HDD into.

I have set to ACHI (or whatever the acronym is)

I have an MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 MB

Is there a "standard" process to doing this?
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2012 11:06:04 PM

There's two things.

If the BIOS isn't showing the drive, there could be a loose cable somewhere - either hooked up to your motherboard or the HD.

The second is once you have all the connections checked, go into Windows. Right click "My computer", select "Manage", then select "Storage ----> Disk management". Then the new drive should be visible. Right click the drive - select format, then assign a drive letter and you're good to go.
m
l
January 6, 2012 1:33:09 AM

g-unit1111 said:
There's two things.

If the BIOS isn't showing the drive, there could be a loose cable somewhere - either hooked up to your motherboard or the HD.

The second is once you have all the connections checked, go into Windows. Right click "My computer", select "Manage", then select "Storage ----> Disk management". Then the new drive should be visible. Right click the drive - select format, then assign a drive letter and you're good to go.

I followed your second step and I do see the drive.It shows as being Not Initialized. Should I initialize it with a Master Boot Record (MBR) or GUID Partition Table (GPT)?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 6, 2012 2:15:56 AM

GPT is more for mobos that have EFI instead of BIOS.

I have mine second drive set to MBR.
January 6, 2012 11:39:32 AM

Cy-Kill said:
GPT is more for mobos that have EFI instead of BIOS.

I have mine second drive set to MBR.

mmm - In the interim I went ahead and selected GPT. Is that bad?
m
l
January 12, 2012 11:27:33 PM

Best answer selected by mRoy62.
m
l
!