lecosmique

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I'm doing my first build in quite some time and would like some comments on what I have picked out. Any insight on better buys or performing parts would be great. Anything I am missing would be good to know as well. Also, any insight on the the build

My use will most likely be for video/photo editing as well as sound production.

The build I am looking at is:

i7 2600K
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 94x4gb)
Crucial M4 128GBSSD
EVGA GTX 560 Ti
Samsung Blu-Ray Combo
Corsair Gold AX740 power supply
Corsair Obsidian 650D

I have a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drive I will add to the system for local storage. (OS and Apps on the SSD) Also have keyboard mouse and Win 7 64bit.

Thanks!

lecosmique

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks for the comments drag0n. The Rosewill case is nice, but I think a tad bit too big for me. Also, the Obsidian is combo'd with the processor @ newegg, for $25 off, and has a $20 MIR. so, not as expensive as it looks.

I'll look at the board, although I do like the (perhaps idealistic) future proofing the ASRock offers.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
I don't see any difference btwn the ASRock and Gigabyte boards other than chipset, and the Gigabyte has the Z68 chipset which is actually better than the P67 because it supports Virtu, which will save you some money on energy later. Other than that, the Gigabyte board has similar functions as the ASRock board, meaning that both has the same "future proofing"

lecosmique

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I took drag0n's comments about the Z68 to heart and changed things, although, ending up with an ASUS board. Final build was the following:

i7 2600K
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Gen3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 94x4gb)
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD (better tier SSD)
EVGA GTX 560 Ti
ASUS Blu-Ray Combo (better looking all black)
Corsair Gold AX750 power supply
Corsair Obsidian 650D

Total cost on the above was about $1500, after $50 in discounts. I also had a 24" Dell IPS monitor on the order as well, not included in that total. ($350)

So far I am quite happy with it. While it was a splurge, the case is amazing, and resulted in an uber clean build. SSD is snappy, and windows boots very quickly. It spends more time booting the BIOS than windows.

Currently the machine is running about 27C idle.

I am using the automatic OCing on the ASUS motherboard. 4430Mhz. While using Adobe media encoder to encode avi to mp4 (1080p24HQ) it runs all 8 cores about 45-73%. CPU maxes at about 53C.