Cheap way of backing up camera card without a PC

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 9, 2005 11:54:46 AM

I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I'm trying to
find the cheapest way of copying my RAW photos from my EOS 300D to a
mass storage device whilst on a 1 week holiday. I do not want to take
my laptop for fear of damaged/theft. Is it possible to connect my PDA
to a USB CD writer? I could then copy my photos from the camera card
onto a CD via the PDA.

Alternatively does anybody know whether I can use the 'syncbox' as
shown in the link below, to connect a usb card reader to a usb cd
writer?

http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/syncbox.ht...

Has anybody used the 'syncbox'? I would like to know how reliable it
is, as I will not be able view my photos from cd until I get home.

Any help/comments would be appreciated,

thank you,
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 4:22:27 PM

"Steve" <mc_govern@hotmail.com> writes:
> I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I'm trying to
> find the cheapest way of copying my RAW photos from my EOS 300D to a
> mass storage device whilst on a 1 week holiday. I do not want to take
> my laptop for fear of damaged/theft. Is it possible to connect my PDA
> to a USB CD writer?

For a few PDA's, yes; for most, no. You could try this:

http://www.computerhq.com/Apacer_Dics_Steno_CP200/AP-CP...
May 9, 2005 6:07:15 PM

Steve wrote:
> I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I'm trying to
> find the cheapest way of copying my RAW photos from my EOS 300D to a
> mass storage device whilst on a 1 week holiday. I do not want to take
> my laptop for fear of damaged/theft. Is it possible to connect my PDA
> to a USB CD writer? I could then copy my photos from the camera card
> onto a CD via the PDA.
>
> Alternatively does anybody know whether I can use the 'syncbox' as
> shown in the link below, to connect a usb card reader to a usb cd
> writer?
>
> http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/syncbox.ht...
>
> Has anybody used the 'syncbox'? I would like to know how reliable it
> is, as I will not be able view my photos from cd until I get home.
>

> Any help/comments would be appreciated,
>
> thank you,

The cheapest way is to take the memory card to a photo shop that will copy the files to a
CD. I was on a tour to Viet Nam and Cambodia a couple of months ago, and a fellow in our
group did just that in Saigon. He said he wouldn't erase the files from his memory cards
until he knew they could be read from the CD. It looks like you can do it almost anywhere.

I have enough memory cards so that my wife and I took over 900 photos between us, with
some room left on a couple of the cards at the end. And we can use the cards again on the
next long trip. I brought a blank CD in case I had to get files copied, since I wasn't
confident about the quality of the CD a photo shop might provide if I went that route.
May 9, 2005 6:30:16 PM

On 09 May 2005 12:22:27 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>"Steve" <mc_govern@hotmail.com> writes:
>> I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I'm trying to
>> find the cheapest way of copying my RAW photos from my EOS 300D to a
>> mass storage device whilst on a 1 week holiday. I do not want to take
>> my laptop for fear of damaged/theft. Is it possible to connect my PDA
>> to a USB CD writer?
>
>For a few PDA's, yes; for most, no. You could try this:
>
>http://www.computerhq.com/Apacer_Dics_Steno_CP200/AP-CP...

Here's a review of it.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/disc_steno_...

"When a true genius appears in this world you may know
him by the sign that the dunces are all in confederacy
against him."

Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:30:17 PM

John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> writes:
> Here's a review of it.
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/disc_steno_...

Thanks. I wonder if anyone makes one with a DVD burner, so you could
back up a 4GB CF card (or even 8GB using dual layer media) on one
disc.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:03:19 PM

Get a 3 1/2" or laptop size 2 1/2" USB2.0 external hard drive case, an old
10GB hard drive to fit and a syncbox. Works great for me and was
inexpensive.

Some 2 1/2" USB external hard drive cases come with two USB cords and no AC
adapter (although there is a socket to plug one in, it is optional). Each
USB port can supply up to 500mA of power to a device. Since a 2 1/2" hard
drive requires 800mA to spin up they go cheap and supply two USB cords
instead of an AC adapter. Advice here is make sure you have an AC adapter
and test it out before your trip.

Syncbox won't work with a CD burner as the burner requires burning software.
Same for a PDA, no burning software.

Marten

"Steve" <mc_govern@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I'm trying to
> find the cheapest way of copying my RAW photos from my EOS 300D to a
> mass storage device whilst on a 1 week holiday. I do not want to take
> my laptop for fear of damaged/theft. Is it possible to connect my PDA
> to a USB CD writer? I could then copy my photos from the camera card
> onto a CD via the PDA.
>
> Alternatively does anybody know whether I can use the 'syncbox' as
> shown in the link below, to connect a usb card reader to a usb cd
> writer?
>
> http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/syncbox.ht...
>
> Has anybody used the 'syncbox'? I would like to know how reliable it
> is, as I will not be able view my photos from cd until I get home.
>

> Any help/comments would be appreciated,
>
> thank you,

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:45:12 PM

How many photos are you likely to take? a cheap microdrive (my 4GB one was
around £175, stores lots of RAW images) might be an option ?

JH
"Steve" <mc_govern@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I'm trying to
> find the cheapest way of copying my RAW photos from my EOS 300D to a
> mass storage device whilst on a 1 week holiday. I do not want to take
> my laptop for fear of damaged/theft. Is it possible to connect my PDA
> to a USB CD writer? I could then copy my photos from the camera card
> onto a CD via the PDA.
>
> Alternatively does anybody know whether I can use the 'syncbox' as
> shown in the link below, to connect a usb card reader to a usb cd
> writer?
>
> http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/syncbox.ht...
>
> Has anybody used the 'syncbox'? I would like to know how reliable it
> is, as I will not be able view my photos from cd until I get home.
>

> Any help/comments would be appreciated,
>
> thank you,

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 2:18:47 AM

Not sure if $380 is what you would consider inexpensive, but I have
been looking at the Archos GMini 400. It does triple duty by playing
music, movies, and providing data storage. It has a built-in card
reader, and a 20 Gig drive that you can copy any data from. Find it
here: http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_400.html

Warning, be aware of the anoying music that auto plays on the web
site. One of my pet peeves, I wish web developers didn't do that!

>I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I'm trying to
>find the cheapest way of copying my RAW photos from my EOS 300D to a
>mass storage device whilst on a 1 week holiday. I do not want to take
>my laptop for fear of damaged/theft. Is it possible to connect my PDA
>to a USB CD writer? I could then copy my photos from the camera card
>onto a CD via the PDA.
>
>Alternatively does anybody know whether I can use the 'syncbox' as
>shown in the link below, to connect a usb card reader to a usb cd
>writer?
>
>http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/syncbox.ht...
>
>Has anybody used the 'syncbox'? I would like to know how reliable it
>is, as I will not be able view my photos from cd until I get home.
>

>Any help/comments would be appreciated,
>
>thank you,
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:27:18 AM

On 09 May 2005 12:52:06 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> writes:
>> Here's a review of it.
>> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/disc_steno_...
>
>Thanks. I wonder if anyone makes one with a DVD burner, so you could
>back up a 4GB CF card (or even 8GB using dual layer media) on one
>disc.

Just a matter of time.. They have an upgraded model which plays
DVD's.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:01:44 PM

In article <1115650486.739810.39780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Steve" <mc_govern@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I'm trying to
> find the cheapest way of copying my RAW photos from my EOS 300D to a
> mass storage device whilst on a 1 week holiday. I do not want to take
> my laptop for fear of damaged/theft. Is it possible to connect my PDA
> to a USB CD writer? I could then copy my photos from the camera card
> onto a CD via the PDA.
>
> Alternatively does anybody know whether I can use the 'syncbox' as
> shown in the link below, to connect a usb card reader to a usb cd
> writer?
>
> http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/syncbox.ht...
>
> Has anybody used the 'syncbox'? I would like to know how reliable it
> is, as I will not be able view my photos from cd until I get home.
>

> Any help/comments would be appreciated,

The Apacer Disc Steno works well for me. However it's 700mb CDR capacity
will quickly fill up with RAW files - but at least you can make more
than one backup and CDRs cost pennies to buy.
May 11, 2005 6:15:37 PM

This is a great idea, I'll give it a try as I have an old 3 1/2", 40GB
hard drive that I'm not using. Thank you for your advice, this is
exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Have you had any problems
with this set up? My only concern is that I cannot check the files have
copied correctly. I'm willing to give it a go though.

Thank you.
!