Need help installing Windows 7 on new rig

claytonrace

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Good evening all,

I thought building the computer would be the last of my worries but now that it is time to install my OS I am encountering more issues. I have an ASRock P67 motherboard and I am stuck of BIOS (ASRock UEFI Setup Utility). I would like to have everything installed for tomorrow. Can anyone please tell me where I need to go to boot off my optical drive? My boot priority screen is fairly limited and I'm afraid my computer is having trouble detecting my drives as in storage configuration it says it can't identify any SATAs (not that that means anything to me, I'm fairly lost now.) Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

claytonrace

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Can anybody help me? I was hoping to get this done at a reasonable hour tonight. Please, I beg of you! If you have dealt with ASRock MB before, can you tell me how to boot off my optical drive?!?

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I have a ASRock mobo...

I cant quite remember how I did it... but what you should be able to do is set that HDD to priority number one in the boot order in the bios... which is not hard to do... this way each time you turn it on it will boot to that HDD otherwise you will have to boot from that HDD manually each time

claytonrace

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Yes, I know I need to set my priority but I can't find how. Under "Advanced" and "Storage Configurations" there are no recognizable SATAs. I opened up my machine to make sure my SATA cables were plugged in and not loose and everything was fine. (I don't know if this has any meaning) On my "Home" screen it says I have a "Cache Size" of 6144KB which doesn't make sense since I have a 1 TB HDD. Is this just a HDD problem, I pray it isn't.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
When you plug it into the power of the computer can your hear it ticking over...?

You can usually put your ear close to the HDD and you can hear it ticking over when it's plugged into the power... If you cant you may have a faulty HDD.

claytonrace

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Ugh, it's honestly hard to tell. Shortly after powering it on I hear a faint double "vah" noise, but soon after my fans power up and drowns all other noise out. Should I be able to open my tower up and see if my HDD is working properly?

claytonrace

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

There is nothing on it, I build this thing less than 12 hours ago. Hopefully Newegg will send me a replacement. I hope *in the nicest way possible* you are wrong. The last thing I need is to wait another 3 days for a brand new HDD.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
haha, i hope im wrong too.

Broken Hdd's suck.

Try getting another hdd from any computer and wack it in and see if you can boot from it... if you cant there is a good chance something is wrong with the build and not the hdd.