Getting really bad lag on multiple programs

ndnecoal

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hi there,
For a while now my computer has slowly started to lagg more and more. At first games like call of duty 4 and steam games wouldn't run. Now its gotten to the point were google chrome, skype, and other programs lagg as well. Either they take forever to load (or don't load at all) or they load, yet run slowly and there is a large amount of delay between typing and the characters appearing on the screen.

I am running:
Windows 7 64bit Professional SP1
16G RAM
NVidea GeForce 9600 GSO (512Mb memory)
3.5 GHz AMD Phenom II
MSI MS-7576

I've already upgraded my RAM (it used to be 8G). But when I did this I noticed my old mother board said that the processor wasn't installed properly, even though it would run windows 7 and most programs before the lag. I switched out the motherboard for a new one and I'm still having lag issues, you could even say that they are worse. I've already blocked all non-essential programs and services upon startup. Also, CCleaner, MalwareBytes and my usual anti-virus: Symantec Endpoint Protection all say that I'm fine. At this point I'm out of Ideas. Any Suggestions?

Solution
sorry on the delay. create a boot disk with fdisk -- run fdisk with a /mbr - I am sure there are new programs out there but that's the old stand I still have my old 3 1/4 just for the random chance I get an error like this

djrabbit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
You might have to reinstall windows to see if that will fix the problem. Then if that doesn't then go to the next part that you think is causing problems. Also you might have a bad processor but I am not sure.

ndnecoal

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I forgot to mention, I switched the processor out for an identical one I had lying around, and we got the same error. I've already tried reinstalling windows once and it hasn't done anything at all. I'm really stuck as to what might be wrong here.

djrabbit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Try different ram or a mobo.

ndnecoal

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I just bought a new mobo to replace the old one, its not a problem there. RAM shouldn't be an issue, as I had the problem with both the previous RAM and the new RAM.

tyranthoth

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
sorry on the delay. create a boot disk with fdisk -- run fdisk with a /mbr - I am sure there are new programs out there but that's the old stand I still have my old 3 1/4 just for the random chance I get an error like this

Solution