SP2 and Themes

Since I have installed SP2, whenever I try to enable a
different theme than the default, everything dissapears
on the screen. A few icons remain and it seems like I can
move around open "windows." With everything black,
though, it is pretty darn diffucult.

Whats worse is that I cannot see anything to change it
back to the default theme.

Any ideas as to what the heck is wrong? (themes are
enables in services)

John
3 answers Last reply
More about themes

    Hi John,

    If you are using a third party skinning program, this issue might be caused due to their incompatibility with SP2.
    Please contact the program tech-support for upgraded versions of programs that are compatible with Windows XP with SP2

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "John Witt" <arestavo1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:668701c49397$30cfdc50$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Since I have installed SP2, whenever I try to enable a
    > different theme than the default, everything dissapears
    > on the screen. A few icons remain and it seems like I can
    > move around open "windows." With everything black,
    > though, it is pretty darn diffucult.
    >
    > Whats worse is that I cannot see anything to change it
    > back to the default theme.
    >
    > Any ideas as to what the heck is wrong? (themes are
    > enables in services)
    >
    > John

    "John Witt" <arestavo1@yahoo.com> wrote
    | Since I have installed SP2, whenever I try to enable a
    | different theme than the default, everything dissapears
    | on the screen. A few icons remain and it seems like I can
    | move around open "windows." With everything black,
    | though, it is pretty darn diffucult.
    |
    | Whats worse is that I cannot see anything to change it
    | back to the default theme.
    |
    | Any ideas as to what the heck is wrong? (themes are
    | enables in services)
    |
    | John

    [From a post by David Candy]

    Assuming you can boot and enter your password:

    Press these keys...
    [Winkey]+[R]

    Then type the following line...
    control desktop

    Then press these keys...
    [Enter]
    [Alt]+[Down Arrow]
    [w]
    [Enter]
    [Enter]

    XP should have a bit of a think for 5 seconds and then give you a standard theme.

    Dear Anonymouse :

    That terrible and frustrating happen to my computer not one but twice : Last
    week everything went black exept the icons I try everything And I had to
    take the computer to the shop they charge me $75. to "reinstall all the
    registry entrys related to colors an stuff" lies, lies lies, .
    Ok last night playing with themes again. My god the same thing happen. It
    took my all night until 6 AM to figure out this simple thing :
    First you need to use a regular ps2 keyboard, because the usb does not work
    before windows start , reeboot the computer press F8 key just before windows
    start .
    when pressinf F8 you enter windows in Safe Mode
    vey low resolution etc. go to display and use a theme that
    is working and that it then we have to figure out how to delete the themes
    that are not working.
    I hope that this will help.
    LG
    "anonymouse" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "John Witt" <arestavo1@yahoo.com> wrote
    > | Since I have installed SP2, whenever I try to enable a
    > | different theme than the default, everything dissapears
    > | on the screen. A few icons remain and it seems like I can
    > | move around open "windows." With everything black,
    > | though, it is pretty darn diffucult.
    > |
    > | Whats worse is that I cannot see anything to change it
    > | back to the default theme.
    > |
    > | Any ideas as to what the heck is wrong? (themes are
    > | enables in services)
    > |
    > | John
    >
    > [From a post by David Candy]
    >
    > Assuming you can boot and enter your password:
    >
    > Press these keys...
    > [Winkey]+[R]
    >
    > Then type the following line...
    > control desktop
    >
    > Then press these keys...
    > [Enter]
    > [Alt]+[Down Arrow]
    > [w]
    > [Enter]
    > [Enter]
    >
    > XP should have a bit of a think for 5 seconds and then give you a standard
    > theme.

Configuration Default Customization Windows XP