SP2 and Themes

Since I have installed SP2, whenever I try to enable a
different theme than the default, everything dissapears
on the screen. A few icons remain and it seems like I can
move around open "windows." With everything black,
though, it is pretty darn diffucult.

Whats worse is that I cannot see anything to change it
back to the default theme.

Any ideas as to what the heck is wrong? (themes are
enables in services)

John

Hi John,

If you are using a third party skinning program, this issue might be caused due to their incompatibility with SP2.
Please contact the program tech-support for upgraded versions of programs that are compatible with Windows XP with SP2

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"John Witt" <arestavo1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:668701c49397$30cfdc50$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Since I have installed SP2, whenever I try to enable a
> different theme than the default, everything dissapears
> on the screen. A few icons remain and it seems like I can
> move around open "windows." With everything black,
> though, it is pretty darn diffucult.
>
> Whats worse is that I cannot see anything to change it
> back to the default theme.
>
> Any ideas as to what the heck is wrong? (themes are
> enables in services)
>
> John

"John Witt" <arestavo1@yahoo.com> wrote
| Since I have installed SP2, whenever I try to enable a
| different theme than the default, everything dissapears
| on the screen. A few icons remain and it seems like I can
| move around open "windows." With everything black,
| though, it is pretty darn diffucult.
|
| Whats worse is that I cannot see anything to change it
| back to the default theme.
|
| Any ideas as to what the heck is wrong? (themes are
| enables in services)
|
| John

[From a post by David Candy]

Assuming you can boot and enter your password:

Press these keys...
[Winkey]+[R]

Then type the following line...
control desktop

Then press these keys...
[Enter]
[Alt]+[Down Arrow]
[w]
[Enter]
[Enter]

XP should have a bit of a think for 5 seconds and then give you a standard theme.

Dear Anonymouse :

That terrible and frustrating happen to my computer not one but twice : Last
week everything went black exept the icons I try everything And I had to
take the computer to the shop they charge me $75. to "reinstall all the
registry entrys related to colors an stuff" lies, lies lies, .
Ok last night playing with themes again. My god the same thing happen. It
took my all night until 6 AM to figure out this simple thing :
First you need to use a regular ps2 keyboard, because the usb does not work
before windows start , reeboot the computer press F8 key just before windows
start .
when pressinf F8 you enter windows in Safe Mode
vey low resolution etc. go to display and use a theme that
is working and that it then we have to figure out how to delete the themes
that are not working.
I hope that this will help.
LG