Windows Backup Error any fix?

scubasteve526

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Ok So for a while now I've been trying to figure out why I can't create a backup on my windows 7 based PC. I really want to make a backup so in case something happens I can go back to a previous point. The last back up I have is from December 12th 2010. It was a few weeks after, that my computer kept giving me an error message every time it tried to back up. The error code is as follows: 0x80070002 Any help would be great. I have an internal HDD and a external HDD. Windows uses my external HDD to store the back up point(which obviously isn't working atm) My external HDD is a 1TB Fantom Drives, GreenDrive HDD

scubasteve526

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Ok I have over 40% of free space and I have actually been looking into this and there is a lot of talk about partitions. But I'm not really aware of what that is or how it works. Maybe I have it or not? Can you please help me with that? I'm a total noob at this part of the computer ><

FuzzyBrain

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Dear ScubaSteve, I've been following your thread hoping that someone somewhere would come up with a solution. Can't see any. I have the same issue and this is what I've tried from other forums:

1. making sure Java is up to date (currently V30)
2. Using Microsoft Fixit to repair Windows Update Errors (and other errors, too)
3. Making sure I had the correct Network username and password
4. Making sure the network had sufficient space
5. Using MSE (Microsoft Essentials) to clear all malware, especially from Java folders
6. Turning off Windows Media services (just close Windows Media rather than mess with the Services window)
7. Deleting previous backup and system images

All of these failed to solve the problem. I found, however, that instead of using Backup AND Create System Image at the same time, I could just select Create System Image and that worked. So "Control Panel->Backup and Restore->Create System Image" rather than "Setup Backup". This works, but it isn't practical. You just use your computer once and the system image is out of date. And it isn't incremental, in other words when you make another system image it doesn't just save changes, it goes through the whole time-consuming process again.

I thought that, as the system image worked without the backup, then the backup might work without the system image, so I unchecked the "Create System Image" box - nope, same error, 0x800 etc etc.

Unless someone comes up with a simple solution, and partitioning (dividing a disk into two or more logical drives) isn't simple for most humans, I would suggest using either a standard external hard drive or a cloud backup service like Mozy, Backblaze, Livedrive - there are quite a few of them. You have to pay, but they work. This Control Panel Backup and Restore "feature" to a network drive is just too complicated to waste our lives over. And I will humbly eat my words if anyone can tell us in simple words what we're doing wrong.