Sign in with
Your question

Wanting to upgrade Athlon x3 II 455

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 17, 2012 2:08:39 AM

A month back I made a budget gaming rig (amd) and im actually impressed but turns out i got a lil bit more coming back on my taxes... if only i would have known (would have went intel) but anyway i have an athlon x3 II 455 and im getting solid FPS on skyrim on ultra 50ish. but is there a cpu that i could upgrade to that would give me a significant boost? or would i benefit from a better gpu?

System build

Athlon II x3 455
Biostar a880g+
8gbs ddr3 amd entertainment 1333
PNY GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1gb ddr5
a c 184 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 17, 2012 2:18:22 AM

You would benefit by overclocking. It is a cheaper and more efficient way than spending 100+ on a cpu or gpu.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 2:23:16 AM

Was your motherboard able to unlock the 4th core? Try that, then try overclocking (although I have a rig with a biostar A880GZ) and there is no way to change the reference clock, so you might not be able to overclock, the only way to OC is with a black edition CPU on my board. You could spend your money on a better GPU if you need an immediate upgrade, that is where you will gain more FPS.
April 17, 2012 5:26:24 AM

Thanks for the replies! I was actually able to unlock the 4th core. I purchased this motherboard and cpu because on the newegg reviews they said they were able to oc to 4.0 ghz but to be honest i have no clue how to overclock. Would overclocking be beneficial as far as gaming goes? Im worried that my cpu is bottle necking my current gpu so i dont want to upgrade my gpu if thats the case. what do you guys think?
a c 184 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 17, 2012 5:36:48 AM

Yes overclocking the processor helps in performance.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 9:15:54 AM

I'd suggest disabling the 4th core if you're going to overclock and your main purpose is gaming. On average, you get a higher overclock out of the x3's without the 4th core enabled, which will help you far more than an active 4th core.
April 27, 2012 3:49:32 PM

Yep, it is easy to overclock start by raising the FBS to 250, then lower HT and NB multiplier to 8x and then the ram multiplier to 5.33. If that works then, I can help you more, I have mine at 3.85Ghz no voltage increase and Ram at 1520mhz, I have gotten it stable to 4.0Ghz but with voltage raise to 1.45 which I prefer not to. WEI went from 6.9 to 7.1 on CPU.
!