Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading CPU - Tyan K8W

Last response: in CPUs
April 17, 2012 3:01:48 AM

I am upgrading two processors on old Tyan K8W. Had dual AMD Opteron single core, 2GHz. I bought a couple of salvaged AMD Opteron 285, dual core 3 GHz.
I swapped the processors. used new silver compound. Now the computer will not boot. No display, no post, no bios. Nothing but fans.
Before I ask for replacements, I am asking for your help and opinions.
I re-reviewed the manual and don't see any warnings or jumpers that need to be set.
What do you think?

More about : upgrading cpu tyan k8w

a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 3:24:48 AM

Which K8W do you have?
m
l
Related resources
April 17, 2012 3:24:23 PM

mi1ez said:
Thunder K8W supports the 285 but CPU support for E Stepping CPU requires PCB Revision 04MOAb

Tiger K8W doesn't support it at all.

http://www.tyan.com/support_download_cpu2_amd.aspx?sock...

Miles,
Thanks for your reply. I have Thunder K8W (S2885), early on I reviewed the link you supplied, it appears to me that the board supports 285. I am not understanding your reference to PCB Revision 04MOAb. Is that a BIOS flash?

If I understand you correctly, my project fails. If so, can you advise me which processor would work for an upgrade? Dual core is what I had in mind.

I am not in a position to move to a new box right now and I have an affection for my old board.

m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 19, 2012 7:00:01 AM

The 285 CPU requires a certain revision of the physical PCB, it should be printed on it somewhere, probably near the model.

Changing BIOS chip will not change the situation. Find the PCB revision on the motherboard itself.
April 19, 2012 11:20:17 AM

Got it, thanks.
Quote:
The 285 CPU requires a certain revision of the physical PCB, it should be printed on it somewhere, probably near the model. Changing BIOS chip will not change the situation. Find the PCB revision on the motherboard itself.

I found the revision code on my board and indeed it is not the 04MOAb revision. HOWEVER, I have another Tyan K8W s2885 board saved in my stack of stuff that is the revision 04MOAb. In fact, in troubleshooting the older board I had harvested the CMOS chip from the revised board & inserted it into the older one. I thought I was on my way when the POST indeed saw the two dual core processors, but Win 7 failed to boot. It is now obvious why.
So I will swap the motherboard with the 04MOAb revision into my rack mount case.
I will report my results back here in a couple of days.
Again, Miles, thanks for your direction.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 5:36:49 AM

Any time! Hope you get the thing booted.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 5:40:45 AM

Worth noting:

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):
Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/sy...
m
l
April 23, 2012 9:18:30 PM

mi1ez said:
Worth noting:

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):
Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/sy...

Yeah, I started out with Win 7 Home Premium & later bought the upgrade to Professional to use both processors.
UPDATE: After swapping a couple of boards that didn't boot, they were with my 'take to Goodwill' stack for a reason, I have one that boots up, sorta'. I bought a 500 gb SATA to use as C: drive and am trying to install Win 7 but keep getting BSOD. Fodder for another thread. I was only doing it to use until the better board arrives.
I bought a slightly newer board, Tyan S2892 Thunder K8SE E-ATX Barebone Server Motherboard, new, from ebay. Specs say it supports AMD 285s. When it gets here I will install it and the two dual processor CPUs. I expect I will be back in the video editing business in the next couple of days. I have recent image and daily back-ups so if Plan A works I shouldn't have to bother the forum again.
m
l
May 3, 2012 12:46:43 PM

Final update:
Mi1ez,
Thanks for helping me with troubleshooting tips.
I am now elbow deep in restoring from old disks.
So this question is resolved.
dk
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2012 11:32:00 AM

No worries, glad you're getting somewhere with it!
m
l
May 10, 2012 11:17:44 AM

Best answer selected by GranPaSmurf.
m
l
!