Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will intel E5800 cpu bottleneck 6850?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2011 7:18:54 AM

Hi Guys
I just bought a Sapphire 6850 graphics card, and ummm I was wondering if it will bottleneck on my E5800 cpu? I use this desktop pc to play some games and I always keep my resolution the higehst, around 1920Xsomething.

Thanks guys :D :D 
November 8, 2011 7:48:37 AM

p.s
I'm just using it to play Rift and some old games
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 8:01:47 AM

At stock speed, 3.2GHz, right? Already installed the card? How it's performance?
What is your card before?
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2011 10:25:07 AM

wa1 said:
At stock speed, 3.2GHz, right? Already installed the card? How it's performance?
What is your card before?

aye at 3.2GHz. I just bought the card and haven't tried it yet, because I'm outside the country atm lol. Just dropped in to ask if this card is compatible with my cpu and all, I mean if not I need to send it back. My psu is antec 550w I believe thats enough. My previous card was Sapphire 5770.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
November 8, 2011 11:38:21 AM

Compatibility will be governed by the motherboard.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 11:53:27 AM

Regarding the Bottleneck issue, i don't think you're going to be bottleneck by the CPU, Some modern & old games doesn't utilize more than 2 cores and the graphics will work harder on that resolution to keep up with the CPU.

See the link below, almost the E8500 is performing similar to the X4 955 BE in games.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/55?vs=88

Also, you must consider a little bit higher OC to that CPU.
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 12:13:25 PM

@jsc: Hey, I just noticed that you become a Mod, when it started?
Congrats for you... :) 
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:23:11 PM

Best answer selected by manhunt320.
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:25:46 PM

ilysaml said:
Regarding the Bottleneck issue, i don't think you're going to be bottleneck by the CPU, Some modern & old games doesn't utilize more than 2 cores and the graphics will work harder on that resolution to keep up with the CPU.

See the link below, almost the E8500 is performing similar to the X4 955 BE in games.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/55?vs=88

Also, you must consider a little bit higher OC to that CPU.

I see, thank you.

For some reason I can't find this E5800 on the site you gave me, but alas as long as it doesn't bottleneck I would just go along with it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 12:40:35 PM

My Apology, i did mix it with C2D E8500.
In fact, your CPU might throttle the game performance @ high resolution. But I would recommend you to try it first, give a little boost of OC if possible.

Also what Motherboard do you have ?

I will report the thread to any Moderator to remove the Best Answer, in case the topic is closed PM me & i will reply immediately.
m
l
November 8, 2011 1:43:46 PM

ilysaml said:
My Apology, i did mix it with C2D E8500.
In fact, your CPU might throttle the game performance @ high resolution. But I would recommend you to try it first, give a little boost of OC if possible.

Also what Motherboard do you have ?

I will report the thread to any Moderator to remove the Best Answer, in case the topic is closed PM me & i will reply immediately.

Oh but you still gave the best answer no need to remove it. I was a bit confused so I had to post this thread.

I asked my friend to do the testing for me he said the game varies and when he was testing it on a game called Rift he said the framrated was imcreased around 10-15 sometimes 20 on the highest detail and resolution. On 5770 the framerate on high setting was about 20-50 quite unstable. On 6850 on ultra setting it's about the same but high setting it had an visible improvement.

I asked this question was because I'm not sure if in certain games 10-15 fps was suppose to be a huge increase.

I'm not sure what my motherbaord is, but it's something PQA5 or something, it's about the price range of 90 dollars, quite small too, only two memory ram slots.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 1:52:44 PM

IF you're getting 10-15 FPS in the game, it's not playable at all. the game is playable @ 30+ FPS if you're getting 10-15 FPS the CPU for sure is bottlenecking.

If you mean that the FPS increased by 10-15, then you're good to go. Again, see the average FPS you get in the game, if it's above 30+ FPS you're doing a great job.

Tell me what Mobo you do have, it might support a better CPU.
m
l
November 8, 2011 2:05:22 PM

ilysaml said:
IF you're getting 10-15 FPS in the game, it's not playable at all. the game is playable @ 30+ FPS if you're getting 10-15 FPS the CPU for sure is bottlenecking.

If you mean that the FPS increased by 10-15, then you're good to go. Again, see the average FPS you get in the game, if it's above 30+ FPS you're doing a great job.

Tell me what Mobo you do have, it might support a better CPU.

Yea i meant I use to get around 20-40 sometimes 50 fps on high setting in the new game Rift. After I installed this new card, I got around 10-15 boost in that game but thats only that game for otehr games there are no change, like WoW.

Although I don't know whta my motherboard is, but all I know is that it only supports LGA 775, and I believe the good ones are around few hundred if not over 200 somewhere around that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 2:15:39 PM

manhunt320 said:
Quote:
Yea i meant I use to get around 20-40 sometimes 50 fps on high setting in the new game Rift. After I installed this new card, I got around 10-15 boost in that game but thats only that game for otehr games there are no change, like WoW.

Sounds good for Rift, so the other game seems to be more dependent on CPU. Try lowering setting such as AA, MSAA, AF this should make a balance between the CPU and GPU even @ high resolution.
Quote:
Although I don't know whta my motherboard is, but all I know is that it only supports LGA 775, and I believe the good ones are around few hundred if not over 200 somewhere around that

Yes i know, the used C2D/C2Q are pricey compared to newer generations, but sometimes it's worthy.

m
l
November 8, 2011 2:23:44 PM

I see, thanks for all the information there mate.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 3:18:18 PM

You're welcome even though i miss-leaded you. :) 
But i would suggest to upgrade your whole system for playing @ 1080P. Such higher resolution with some stuff like AA, AF, MSAA maxed out you'll need more than HD 6850.
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:33:53 PM

ilysaml said:
You're welcome even though i miss-leaded you. :) 
But i would suggest to upgrade your whole system for playing @ 1080P. Such higher resolution with some stuff like AA, AF, MSAA maxed out you'll need more than HD 6850.

Ah yes, I'm thinking of doing that, got a store near my place. I never use AA or MSAA to play games, not even AF. For some reasons I can't tell the difference between them on or off, my eye sights are pretty bad indeed, but I can tell the difference only when using an Nvidia graphics card, but on Ati, nahhh.

Thanks again for the reply sir.
m
l
!