Sign in with
Your question

1st Build Advice to avoid pitfalls

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2012 2:24:09 AM

OK, I've gone through and think this is the system with the lowest cost for the bucks and the least potential for problems. Anyone have suggestions for avoiding problems?

Mobo - ASUS P8Z68 V Pro/Gen3
i5-2500K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1
Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16 GB 4 x 4

Patriot Memory PYRO 60 GB Solid State Drives PP60GS25SSDR
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s ST31000524AS

ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner with Disc Encryption, Black

Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 USB 3.0 Full Tower Case VN300M1W2N
Thermaltake TR2 80PLUS BRONZE Active PFC SLI-Ready 700 Watts Power Supply TR-700P

HIS Radeon HD 6850 1 GB (256 bit) GDDR5 Eyefinity DisplayPort HDMI 2x DVI (HDCP) PCI Express X16 2.1 Video Card - H685FN1GD

Planning to install-
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

I've seen a couple of YouTube builds on various parts. Is the first check to install chip in mobo, add CPU cooler, memory, then graphics card, connect power supply and do a startup to see if those work before putting mobo into case?

VID showed a start screen with BIOS startup. So the system works thru the vid card.

Then put into case install SSD and HD into case and do a Win 7 install.

Or have I missed some steps?

Read a few forum post here that SSD and HD install have setup problems. Some say to setup on Intel SATA2 controller then move to the marvel SATA3 cause you need drivers before Win.

Should the various parts have step by step install instructions?

Any post would be useful if they can clear up the steps and provide things to watch out for, avoid, or try.

Also, what's the consensus on this setup? Is ASUS the best bet for a newbie builder?
Did I match components well? How good a system will I have compared to Name Brand systems like HP/Dell vs gamer prebuilts like the Digital Storm Ode level 3 (PC May Editor's Choice)?
January 6, 2012 2:42:38 AM

Tom's hardware has a step by step guide to help with building.

It looks like you've chosen top notch parts for everything except your video card. I'm guessing you're going to be gaming on this system, and the video card will have the largest impact on gaming performance.

If you are going to be gaming I'd suggest cutting back to 8 GB of Ram and possibly even going with the P8Z68 V/Gen3 (non-pro), unless you really need specific features on the pro, and putting the money you've saved into a better video card.

The system you've built will be slightly less powerful than the Digital Storm Ode level 3, but doesn't cost as much either! ;) 

Best of luck with your new system!
m
l
January 6, 2012 4:10:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. Mobo non-pro version saves $10 and drops 2 USB3 AND 2 SATA3 connectors from the board plus other features I may not know about.

Yeah the graphics card is inexpensive < $150 but a 4.0 out of 5.0 reviewed chip set. Compared to the 2 GTX 570s in the DS ode $570 cards are way more than I wanna spend.

And trying to find a < $200 card that's not a GTX 550, I don't know what's any better as the highly rated are hard to find. My old system seems to run slow due to ram limits (2GB) from internet evony boys running in 4 IE7 tabs. The 16 gb pack is < $90 total so saving $50 to go towards Gpu ain't much cause the $200 card have the HD 6850 chips.

If build goes smooth, I may buid a cheaper system for wife and swap out gpu for better one if prices drop for Nvidias.
m
l
!