Solved

Have I fried my CPU?

Hello,
Recently I had to move my PC from one house to another, I set it up and then started it up, after about 5 minutes it shut down. I then looked inside my case to find the fan to my processor had some how fallen into my Video card, I then reattached all four pins on my fan to the motherboard again.

I then booted my PC again, and decided to test if everything was ok by testing it on something that would test my system, so I booted up SWTOR. It took alot longer to load then usual, and on the title screen I was getting low frame rates, while I can usually run it on maximum with high FPS. Then my PC shut down again.

Am wonderting if my Processor is fried, or maybe I could just reapply a layer of thermal paste to it and it would solve the issue? Or is it my Video Card.

Nvidia GrForce GTX 560 Ti
Intel Quad Core i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about have fried
  1. The computer must have shutdown the first time from exceeding the maximum temperature. I don't think applying a new layer of thermal paste is going to solve the issue, unless the heatsink also fell off when the fan did.

Try it with a different video card?
  2. Unfortunatly, I don't have my spare GTS 9500 here with me as I'm house sitting for a month. Is there any other way I could tell?
  3. Best answer
    It's possible but highly unlikely. Processors are much harder to fry than many people will lead you to believe. When faced with inadequate cooling they will do exactly what you describe, shut themselves off before any damage occurs. Since you can get into Windows this suggests that no significant damage has occurred. Processor failure is typically indicated by a BSOD. The system shutting off is either a different problem or a self protection mechanism. I suspect that it is still not cooling itself properly.

What you need to do now is find out why your fan fell off. If the entire heat sink and fan assembly fell off you will need to do is take the heat sink and fan off, clean the thermal paste off of both the CPU and the cooling assembly using rubbing alcohol or electronic contact cleaner (available at any automotive store for about 5 bucks, works like a charm), then clean the heat sink and fan with hot soapy water until spotless (do not clean the CPU). Then, lubricate the fan with some WD40 and carefully put it all back together with a fresh layer of thermal paste.

Quick edit: run Prime95 for an hour or two to test your processor's stability
  4. Just for clarification, was it just the fan, or the whole HSF assembly that fell off? If is was the whole assembly, then you definitely need to redo the thermal paste.
  5. Whole Assembly. Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately it's late here and stores are closed. But I will try your suggestions tommorow.

Thanks again for your quick responses, and I'll let you all know the results tommorow.
  6. Kazierlol said:
    Whole Assembly. Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately it's late here and stores are closed. But I will try your suggestions tommorow.

Thanks again for your quick responses, and I'll let you all know the results tommorow.

You're welcome. Thanks for asking questions in a professional manner, that makes it much easier for us to help you out. Feel free to PM me if you need any assistance
  7. the whole assembly fell over, onto your GPU?

what cooler, cause seriously, if it's like a high end GPU cooler, that's like half a kilo of metal falling onto and perhaps chipping your PCB on your GFX card. Check it for damage?
  8. teh_gerbil said:
    the whole assembly fell over, onto your GPU?

what cooler, cause seriously, if it's like a high end GPU cooler, that's like half a kilo of metal falling onto and perhaps chipping your PCB on your GFX card. Check it for damage?

Yeah, I have no idea how it happened to be honest. It's intel so it has all them pins holding it there.

However, I reapplied some thermal paste and everything seems to be working as per usual.

Thank you everyone for being such a great help.
  9. Best answer selected by Kazierlol.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs