Canon I9900 print outs

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 9, 2005 2:28:16 PM

Just got the Canon I9900 printer and the prints are excellent .
There is one issue when using Photoshop in that the prints have shifted to
the purple area a small amount going by the skin tones , but when using two
other programs the prints match the screen Great. This shows me that the
Printer is right on, so what do I look for in the Photoshop settings.

More about : canon i9900 print outs

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:08:59 PM

On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:28:16 -0500, "John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote:

>Just got the Canon I9900 printer and the prints are excellent .
>There is one issue when using Photoshop in that the prints have shifted to
>the purple area a small amount going by the skin tones , but when using two
>other programs the prints match the screen Great. This shows me that the
>Printer is right on, so what do I look for in the Photoshop settings.

Sounds like you need to look at this...

_Real World Color Management_, Second Edition
by Bruce Fraser, Chris Murphy, Fred Bunting

http://www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor/

"When a true genius appears in this world you may know
him by the sign that the dunces are all in confederacy
against him."

Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
May 9, 2005 4:52:41 PM

Thanks for the input, I have looked at Profiles before.
Just tried Q image, and I still get Great prints throught it, so this means
that profiles are needed Just for Photoshop?
Is there a setting to pass the color that is on the screen in Photoshop.

"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just got the Canon I9900 printer and the prints are excellent .
> There is one issue when using Photoshop in that the prints have shifted to
> the purple area a small amount going by the skin tones , but when using
> two other programs the prints match the screen Great. This shows me that
> the Printer is right on, so what do I look for in the Photoshop settings.

May 9, 2005 4:57:02 PM

Try some of the settings as described in this pdf:
http://www.qualiteitems.com/canon.pdf

"John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just got the Canon I9900 printer and the prints are excellent .
> There is one issue when using Photoshop in that the prints have
> shifted to the purple area a small amount going by the skin tones ,
> but when using two other programs the prints match the screen Great.
> This shows me that the Printer is right on, so what do I look for in
> the Photoshop settings.

May 9, 2005 7:51:36 PM

It sounds like its time for intro to color management.
There are many sources on the web for demonstrations to walk you through the
basics of color management if you are not familar with the subject.
If your instruction manual does not include Canon's methods of implenting
color management with their printer drivers e-mail Canon tech support and
they will send you detailed instructions.
In my experience with Canon printers I find that the Canon drivers and
canned profiles are not consistently reliable and seriously impact the
capabilities of Canon printers. Even with a device calibrated monitor I
could never get the relatively reliable level of color matching with Canon
printers and Canon paper profiles (all 3 of them) that I could easily
achieve with Epson printer drivers and Epson canned paper profiles.
For best results with a Canon printer, particularly the i9900, I recommend
you think about investing in a system that allows you to profile
printer/paper combinations along with your monitor. I was very unhappy with
my Canon printer (I relegated it to printing text and brochures) until I
started using the Monaco Optix/EZ Color calibration system to build
individual printer/paper profiles. So far it has made results from my Canon
printer reasonably reliable for the first time since I have owned the thing.
Although I still prefer Epson, now when I sort through a pile of prints the
Canon prints are harder to identify, which to me is a mark of successful
calibration.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:13:30 PM

On 5/9/05 10:28 AM, in article EbSdnYHsCecLHOLfRVn-iA@comcast.com, "John"
<JF@comcast.net> wrote:

> Just got the Canon I9900 printer and the prints are excellent .
> There is one issue when using Photoshop in that the prints have shifted to
> the purple area a small amount going by the skin tones , but when using two
> other programs the prints match the screen Great. This shows me that the
> Printer is right on, so what do I look for in the Photoshop settings.

Some others have already provided some good reference advise in color
management. I will just add a reminder that you will probably want to turn
printer color management off in your printer driver settings. If your
monitor is properly adjusted and you have managed to get the color looking
the way you want in Photoshop you don't want the printer to again color
manage what you have already done.
Chuck
May 9, 2005 10:13:31 PM

I did go and set the settings as noted in the Canon PDF article and the
prints are great NOW, thanks for the comebacks. I will read more on the
subject, but needing to find out why the other programs did a good job,
possibly because the other ones does not have the options as PhotoShop has.
I will make notes on what the settings are at this point.

"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
> On 5/9/05 10:28 AM, in article EbSdnYHsCecLHOLfRVn-iA@comcast.com, "John"
> <JF@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Just got the Canon I9900 printer and the prints are excellent .
>> There is one issue when using Photoshop in that the prints have shifted
>> the purple area a small amount going by the skin tones , but when using
>> two
>> other programs the prints match the screen Great. This shows me that the
>> Printer is right on, so what do I look for in the Photoshop settings.
>>

> Some others have already provided some good reference advise in color
> management. I will just add a reminder that you will probably want to
> turn
> printer color management off in your printer driver settings. If your
> monitor is properly adjusted and you have managed to get the color looking
> the way you want in Photoshop you don't want the printer to again color
> manage what you have already done.
> Chuck

May 9, 2005 11:08:44 PM

Where does one find print manager to turn off?

"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
> On 5/9/05 10:28 AM, in article EbSdnYHsCecLHOLfRVn-iA@comcast.com, "John"
> <JF@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Just got the Canon I9900 printer and the prints are excellent .
>> There is one issue when using Photoshop in that the prints have shifted
>> the purple area a small amount going by the skin tones , but when using
>> two
>> other programs the prints match the screen Great. This shows me that the
>> Printer is right on, so what do I look for in the Photoshop settings.
>>

> Some others have already provided some good reference advise in color
> management. I will just add a reminder that you will probably want to
> turn
> printer color management off in your printer driver settings. If your
> monitor is properly adjusted and you have managed to get the color looking
> the way you want in Photoshop you don't want the printer to again color
> manage what you have already done.
> Chuck

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:46:23 AM

Markeau wrote:
> Try some of the settings as described in this pdf:
> http://www.qualiteitems.com/canon.pdf

Not that again! That PDF has some serious gaps in it, which no one
answered for me in my Eureka on Color Management thread. I'm tired of
looking at it.

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:50:43 AM

On 5/9/05 7:08 PM, in article R6GdnTQS1_oEZuLfRVn-hw@comcast.com, "John"
<JF@comcast.net> wrote:

> Where does one find print manager to turn off?

In Photoshop when printing using the 'Print with Preview' menu selection
turning off color management should be one of the options that is selectable
after clicking the print button.
!