fish aficionado

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Hey guys.

Today I tried to start my computer and it didn't work, all fans were functioning except the CPU heat sink. Tried two more times and nothing so I thought maybe something could be wrong with the PSU, I took a closer look at it and noticed the cables at the 10th and 11th pin were somewhat dark. http://imgur.com/x8DuS I tested them and got 12.28V on both.

Do you think it is the PSU? I'm afraid it could have damaged something else in the motherboard.

Thanks in advance.

fish aficionado

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
It won't boot at all. And in the last days it was shutting itself off randomly without a warning. What scares me the most is not only that the PSU may be faulty but that it could have damaged something on the MB. That would be really bad news.

Yeah, in that case, I'd say it's definitely a bad PSU, and I'm worried that it might have taken the board with it too, unfortunately. I would suggest getting a new PSU first though, to see if that's all it is, since that's the easiest and probably cheapest fix.

fish aficionado

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Oh boy, not the board!! I guess I'll try with the PSU, if it took the mb I might as well throw the whole thing to the trash and go cry in a corner. Do you think there's any particular reason this happened? Besides just a faulty PSU of course.

Thanks for your time.

From the way you describe it, it sounds like the PSU was just failing on its own, and finally just gave up (and possibly caused more damage when it did). :(