P8p67 Pro dead. Again.

I think I'm done with Asus. This board died a year ago and took the CPU with it, and was RMA'ed and replaced. Now it's fully dead again with no sign of life except the green standby LED.

No warning, no signs of trouble, just tried to boot up today and got nothing. The PSU (X650 Seasonic) passes the paperclip test and shows the usual voltages on the DMM. Admittedly, there was a little wind this morning and the power did go out, but the computer was off and behind a good surge suppressor. None of the other computers or devices in the house were damaged.

Ah well, at least I have a full version of Win 7 to re-install on the new board. I ordered up an ASRock Extreme 4. And, I can use the two day wait to do WC maintenance and upgrades.

CDdude55

Distinguished
Asus generally makes good quality boards, though from reading a few newegg reviews on that board many people are having problems with it. Out of the 10 reviews on the first page 6 have experianced issues. :ouch:

Good choice on the Asrock Extreme 4.

gandya

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
don't blame asus so fast..
it could be your psu, or ***** intel chipset, the fact is asus amd based moboes are very reliable, while intels tend to die.. intel`s chipset are know for being ******..

CDdude55

Distinguished

Intel makes very reliable products, granted they have had there issues in the past like the P67 southbride issue which they had to release the B3 steppings to fix the problem. Some of the most reliable boards were from Intel *cough* Bad Axe 2 *cough*. Plus just take a look at there SSD line, they're top shelf.

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Asus are not bad, I've had similar problems though... And It was power surges both times. The surge is more likely to come through your Ethernet cable, than the psu, decent psu's usually offer some small protection agains surges.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Have you had your PSU tested with an oscilloscope?

I know of a case wehre a customer went through 3 boards. He was testing his PSU with a DMM and the rails "measured" fine for DC. Eventually he decided to have the PSU tested and the test found almost 2V of AC riding the 3.3V rail. Of course, the DMM was not capable of measuring that, so it took 3 dead boards before he got to the point of having the PSU tested by an engineer.

Any time a CPU dies in a system, it's a good practice to get the PSU tested properly.

Of course, the causes of the deaths could be something else entirely, but there's not much information your post, so one can only guess.

That's why I have a high end Seasonic, because there is no way to know about ripple and transient spikes. Still, it's worth a check if I can find someone local with an oscilloscope.

The board + CPU failure happened at the end of 2011, and at the time I paid Asus for a 3 day return. They took 4 or 5 days to process it and then shipped the new board by ground, so that it arrived 10 days later... and kept my money. They did offer me an extra 3 months of warranty service for my "inconvenience." Isn't it great to get lousy service and then get offered more lousy service to make up for it?

Ponyface, although there is a cable modem, router, switch, and 200' of cable between my computer and the outside, I think I will check for ways to protect for that. Maybe there's an option along the way for a ground.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Sorry to hear about the customer service problem. We have a dedicated CLM team now to take care of these issues, so if ever you get stuck again let me know and I'll loop them in.

Probably a good idea to protect that cable if it's running outside.

The PSU, it might just be worth telling Seasonic what happened and see if they will swap it for you (just in case).

-Raja

arnoldus

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
My P8P67 Pro died as well yesterday, same symptoms. I found more flack about this particular board...

What do you mean it took your CPU with it, was the cpu damaged?

That was the first board.

Remember, if you go looking for negatives you will find them. There isn't an electronic device made that doesn't fail sometimes.

I can't say what happened for sure. The board and the CPU were both dead, verified by swapping. I have yet to check the CPU this time, but the symptoms are a bit different. The first time the system would still try to post, but immediately fail and shut down. This time, there is no life at all except the standby LED.

arnoldus

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
My CPU went as well... Luckily for your post, else I would never have dreamt that possibility and would probably have sent my new mobo back for RMA as faulty.

Oversoulll

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Same story here, though with P8P67 revision 3 and a 2600k cpu with 16 GB of Gskill sniper memory working at 1600 mhz and 1.25 voltage, without any overclocking. After a year and half passed since I got this stuff and while I was working without any problem, It just died no blue screen, no alarm, nothing ! system turned off all of a sudden and couldn't turn back on. First I thought its a PSU issue though I connected another PSU to the board and checked every single component by removing and then adding them one by one but there was no hope. While pressing power button, fans were starting in a fraction of a second and then nothing. This is the second time I get an Asus mobo and it dies. Last time which belongs to years ago, my board was a p4t533-c with RDRam support which died in the same way hopefully that time cpu and other components were remained intact, and this time I can affirm that my ram and Gcard (GTX580) are ok, though I haven't tested cpu yet.