'Random' restarts

gsl

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Hey guys,

My computer has been randomly restarting for the past few days. I suspect the power supply. I am able to boot normally and I'm fairly certian it's not a software problem. My event log shows all "Error 41" notifications.

The problem happens while running idle (normal and safe mode in win 7) or during use. CPU tems are normal according to core temp (~35-40 C)

I have tried running memtest multiple times, however the computer will restart before I can complete a single pass. There is no BSOD message in win 7.

Because of the nature of the problem I suspect either the PSU or the mobo (possibly not directing power correctly). I am wondering what I can do to test this. Quickly browsing amazon, I see there are components specifically designed to test ATX PSUs. Would one of these be good? Or should I buy a DMM? I may just get a DMM anyways since I may need it for a class, but are ATX testers worth the $10-$20?

SPEC INFO:

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Core i7 930 @ stock
nVidia 470 GTX @ stock
ASUS P6X58D-E X58 R
Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W
4GB Corsair RAM (idk model)

If you suspect the PSU, a tester would be a good thing (and also give you a little more info to give to Corsair if you need to RMA).
I got one about a year ago and now use it before starting any build - It really is a useful tool just to make sure your new PSU doesn't have wild current fluctuations and/or isn't dead... happens to even the best brands. IMO, yes, it is worth the $15 or so.

I have a Rosewill RTK PST: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261023&Tpk=rtk%20pst
Got it on sale for about $11...I think it's worth it and use it on every new build and for troubleshooting.

Event ID 41...i hate that error. Most of the ones that I've dealt with have been associated with drivers or the PSU. Have you done any recent driver upgrades or significant Windows updates? Do you have a system restore point from before the reboots?

If you want BSOD on restart, then you can modify the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click Advanced system settings.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
- Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

It's only natural to think that a kernel power error is caused by the psu, that's not always the case, a Google search will surprise you.

IMO, if you aren't going to be testing power supplies on a regular basis a psu tester is a waste, especially so if you have need of a DMM to begin with.

From member/moderator "jsc" ;

" Proceed with caution. I will not be held responsible if you get shocked or fry components.

The best way to check the PSU is to swap it with a known good PSU of similar capacity. Brand new, out of the box, untested does not count as a known good PSU. PSU's, like all components, can be DOA.

Next best thing is to get (or borrow) a digital multimeter and check the PSU.

Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU. You can carefully probe the pins from the back of the main power connector."

The above can also be done when the system is up and running by backprobing the 24 pin connector.

First thing I would do is reseat the 24 pin connector, if any one of it's pins are loose that could be the source of the problem. ( My system is pretty similar to your's and it's what stopped my kernel power errors, no guarantee's though )

gsl

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks for your responses! I will be reseating all the power connections when I get a chance.

I may just drop $15 on a tester, just for the convenience of not having to wire up everything.

Also, The problem hasn't been chronic, so I don't know if using a voltmeter is really going to help me. The load of the mobo+components isn't a static load like a voltmeter right? So If I'm reading correct voltages that wouldn't necessarily rule out the PSU going bad?

EDIT: I did a windows update recently. When it first started restarting I did a system restore. The thing is, it restarts in safe mode, normal mode, and when I'm running memtest, so I didn't think it was software specific. I'm getting black screen crashes also, which further indicates that it's not a software error.