~$2000 Photo/Video editing (with a little bit of gaming) PC

Ravac

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: Around $2000 more or less (preferably less, and I have no idea what the word rebate means so.... whatever :D )

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly photo/video editing, but nothing special, I'm nothing like a pro, I only do basic stuff

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: /

Parts Preferences: /

Overclocking: 99% not

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe later

Monitor Resolution: /

I don't actualy need you to make me a complete build, but to see what I currently have in mind and give me your thoughts on it and if I should change anything, It would be much appreciated

So, my current build is:
mobo: MB LGA1155 iZ68 MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
cpu: Intel Core i7-2600
cpu cooler: Noctua NH-C14
psu: 660W Seasonic SS-660KM
ssd: SSD SATA3 120GB Patriot PYRO 550MB/s, PP120GSF25SSDR
hdd: 2 TB Western Digital WD20EARX, 64MB
case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl
memory: 8 GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX, Kingston (in-pair) C9D3X2K2/8GX
monitor: DELL ST2420L (24" LED, 5ms)
graphic: MSI GTX560Ti Twin Frozr II OC

First, I'm thinking of this mobo be couse it has all this good stuff sata3 usb3, good amount of memory, supports sli/cf if ever needed.
2nd, I first thought on getting i5 2500k, but decided this cuz I won't do oc'ing (I don't like to mess with that stuff), it's a bit faster and has 8 threads.
cpu cooler and psu I heard some good stuff and watched some reviews, however I'm not really sure how good they are and will psu do fine with this build ?
ssd, hdd I have nothing really to say about those, I've looked at some reviews, and I guess (and hope) they'll do fine.
About the case, I was watching some reviews on youtube and they say it's a quiet and quality case.
memory, there isn't much to choose here in stores.
Monitor, I was thinking about going dual with this monitor, It's inexpensive and I've heard some good stuff about him, however if you know about some better quality for 300$ 24 inch monitor, please tell me, I do have my preferences, like it has to be LED 24 inch <=5ms respond and to have dvi support.
And finaly graphic card... 1st I was thinking about getting gtx 570 twin frozr III pe/oc but decided this one cuz I guess it will do fine for me, It can run most stuff I throw at him and is $100+ less expensive

If you guys think I should go for something else, please leave a comment or something, I'll appreciate that.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
First of all, I have no idea where to buy parts in Serbia or how difficult it is to find them. I'm going to recommend things based on newegg.com and we can adjust based on what you can or cannot find.

I like these motherboards slightly better. They have similar features but tend to be better value for the price. Also I don't tend to hear good things about MSI.
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P
ASRock Z68 EXTREME4
If you want motherboards with similar performance but stripped of a few features and at a lower price, the following are good choices.
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3
ASRock Z68 Extreme3

The i7-2600 is the right choice for photo and video editing. However, you said that you don't do anything intense. If you plan on gaming you might be better off going with an i5-2500 and spending the extra money on a better graphics card. It's up to you, though. Now, if you're not going to overclock then you don't need the Noctua NH-C14. It's a great cooler but it's also very expensive and totally unnecessary at standard clock speeds. The stock cooler that comes with the processor will do just fine, but it is kind of loud and it doesn't do the best job of cooling, so if you want to get an aftermarket cooler, something like the following is more appropriate.
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Your power supply is extremely good. Possibly a bit of overkill.

That's a good memory choice.

The Patriot Pyro is fine. I generally recommend one of these two, though.
Crucial M4
Samsung 830

You're going to get medium settings at 1920x1080 resolution. I have a radeon 6950 which is very similar to a 560ti. Crysis 2 dips below 20fps with everything cranked all the way up (tessellation and dx11 ultra and everything else) on 1600x900. A 560ti is a good and capable card, but if you're spending $2000 you can certainly do better.

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Agreed. A $2000 build should at least have a 660Ti or 670/770; otherwise, your ratio of total price/graphics card is way off.