Simultaneous GPRS and voice call

Last response: in Technologies
July 22, 2004 8:05:05 AM

Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
feature, or a phone feature?
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 1:07:48 PM

"P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> schreef in bericht
> Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
> feature, or a phone feature?

I thought it was not possible. The IP connection goes into a wait when you
receive a call.

Boonie
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:19:00 PM

P T Wang schrieb:
> Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
> feature, or a phone feature?

Look at:
http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml

You are looking at DEVICE class B.

So it definitely at first it is a phone feature, which is rarely
implemented today.

Surely the network needs his part of implementation also. But because
all these classes are part of the GPRS standard there is a very high
probability that it is availabe in all networks.

But never heard it to be a subscriber account feature.

Wolfgang
July 22, 2004 5:44:20 PM

Wolfgang Barth wrote:

> P T Wang schrieb:
> > Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
> > feature, or a phone feature?
> >
> Look at:
> http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml
>
> You are looking at DEVICE class B.
>
> So it definitely at first it is a phone feature, which is rarely
> implemented today.
>
> Surely the network needs his part of implementation also. But because
> all these classes are part of the GPRS standard there is a very high
> probability that it is availabe in all networks.
>
> But never heard it to be a subscriber account feature.
>
> Wolfgang

It is true that class A GPRS mobiles would be able to handle both CS
connection and GPRS connection simultaneously. However, there are
currently no such devices out there in the market. The reason is most
likely due to the fact that class A implementation in a mobile would
require (at least) dual radio hardware parts for transmission and
reception due to the fact that the radio resources (frequencies/timeslots)
are not co-ordinated and thus not manageable by a single
transmission/reception system.

As far as I know, this shortcoming will be tackled with a feature called
Dual Transfer Mode (DTM), which willl be likely be available in the next
12-24 months. With this feature, radio resource co-ordination will be
provided for CS and PS connections, thus removing the need for extra
hardware in the MS. As usual, this feature does include modifications to
both the network and the mobiles.

For more information, please check the DTM stage 2 specification from
3GPP. It can be found from e.g. here:

http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/latest/R1999/03_series/03...

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Antti
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 3:14:44 AM

>Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
>feature, or a phone feature?

As far as I know you cannot do the two at the same time.

--
John S.
July 23, 2004 4:16:51 AM

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> >Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
> >feature, or a phone feature?
> >

> As far as I know you cannot do the two at the same time.

How about accepting voice calls when using GPRS (and cut GPRS off
automatically) ?
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 3:35:42 PM

> How about accepting voice calls when using GPRS (and cut GPRS off
> automatically) ?

As i said before: the gprs session goes into a wait / pause state and your
phone will ring like normal.

Boonie
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 8:43:17 AM

In article <40ff67c3$0$19793$ba620dc5@nova.planet.nl>,
Boonie... <boonie.newsGEENZOOI@boonie.fw.nu> wrote:

>"P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> schreef in bericht
>> Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
>> feature, or a phone feature?
>
>I thought it was not possible. The IP connection goes into a wait when you
>receive a call.

It isn't possible. The data connection is suspended during a voice call.

However, it is possible with UMTS/WCDMA.
!