Simultaneous GPRS and voice call

Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
feature, or a phone feature?
7 answers Last reply
More about simultaneous gprs voice call

    "P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> schreef in bericht
    > Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
    > feature, or a phone feature?

    I thought it was not possible. The IP connection goes into a wait when you
    receive a call.

    Boonie

    P T Wang schrieb:
    > Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
    > feature, or a phone feature?

    Look at:
    http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml

    You are looking at DEVICE class B.

    So it definitely at first it is a phone feature, which is rarely
    implemented today.

    Surely the network needs his part of implementation also. But because
    all these classes are part of the GPRS standard there is a very high
    probability that it is availabe in all networks.

    But never heard it to be a subscriber account feature.

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Barth wrote:

    > P T Wang schrieb:
    > > Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
    > > feature, or a phone feature?
    > >
    > Look at:
    > http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml
    >
    > You are looking at DEVICE class B.
    >
    > So it definitely at first it is a phone feature, which is rarely
    > implemented today.
    >
    > Surely the network needs his part of implementation also. But because
    > all these classes are part of the GPRS standard there is a very high
    > probability that it is availabe in all networks.
    >
    > But never heard it to be a subscriber account feature.
    >
    > Wolfgang

    It is true that class A GPRS mobiles would be able to handle both CS
    connection and GPRS connection simultaneously. However, there are
    currently no such devices out there in the market. The reason is most
    likely due to the fact that class A implementation in a mobile would
    require (at least) dual radio hardware parts for transmission and
    reception due to the fact that the radio resources (frequencies/timeslots)
    are not co-ordinated and thus not manageable by a single
    transmission/reception system.

    As far as I know, this shortcoming will be tackled with a feature called
    Dual Transfer Mode (DTM), which willl be likely be available in the next
    12-24 months. With this feature, radio resource co-ordination will be
    provided for CS and PS connections, thus removing the need for extra
    hardware in the MS. As usual, this feature does include modifications to
    both the network and the mobiles.

    For more information, please check the DTM stage 2 specification from
    3GPP. It can be found from e.g. here:

    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/latest/R1999/03_series/0355-811.zip

    I hope this clarifies the issue.

    Antti

    >Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
    >feature, or a phone feature?

    As far as I know you cannot do the two at the same time.

    --
    John S.

    "John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
    > >Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
    > >feature, or a phone feature?
    > >

    > As far as I know you cannot do the two at the same time.

    How about accepting voice calls when using GPRS (and cut GPRS off
    automatically) ?

    > How about accepting voice calls when using GPRS (and cut GPRS off
    > automatically) ?

    As i said before: the gprs session goes into a wait / pause state and your
    phone will ring like normal.

    Boonie

    In article <40ff67c3$0$19793$ba620dc5@nova.planet.nl>,
    Boonie... <boonie.newsGEENZOOI@boonie.fw.nu> wrote:

    >"P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> schreef in bericht
    >> Is simultaneous GPRS and voice a network feature, subscriber account
    >> feature, or a phone feature?
    >
    >I thought it was not possible. The IP connection goes into a wait when you
    >receive a call.

    It isn't possible. The data connection is suspended during a voice call.

    However, it is possible with UMTS/WCDMA.

GSM Phones