SP2 writes wrong data to boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\XP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
/fastdetect

First, please tell me what is this option for and where should I add it?
/NoExecute=OptOut
I believe that it is for the memory execution restriction future is XP-SP2.

Second, why is it added to the Server?

Third, how could Your software be so stupid to make changes to the wrong
volume? The system starts from another physical hard-disk!
5 answers Last reply
More about writes wrong data boot

    this is for a single os, hope it helps

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

    "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > this is for a single os, hope it helps

    Thank You very much, Jim!
    It is e exactly as I thought - this option is for XP and not for the Server
    (at least not yet).

    Microsoft Windows XP-SP2 is stupid enough to write it to the wrong place and
    even on the wrong hard-disk.

    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    > "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > > [boot loader]
    > > timeout=0
    > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > > [operating systems]
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
    > > Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\XP="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional"
    > > /fastdetect
    > >

    > > First, please tell me what is this option for and where should I add it?
    > > /NoExecute=OptOut
    > > I believe that it is for the memory execution restriction future is
    > > XP-SP2.
    > >
    > > Second, why is it added to the Server?
    > >
    > > Third, how could Your software be so stupid to make changes to the wrong
    > > volume? The system starts from another physical hard-disk!

    "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > this is for a single os, hope it helps

    Thank You very much, Jim!
    It is e exactly as I thought - this option is for XP and not for the Server
    (at least not yet).

    Microsoft Windows XP-SP2 is stupid enough to write it to the wrong place and
    even on the wrong hard-disk.

    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    > "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > > [boot loader]
    > > timeout=0
    > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > > [operating systems]
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
    > > Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\XP="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional"
    > > /fastdetect
    > >

    > > First, please tell me what is this option for and where should I add it?
    > > /NoExecute=OptOut
    > > I believe that it is for the memory execution restriction future is
    > > XP-SP2.
    > >
    > > Second, why is it added to the Server?
    > >
    > > Third, how could Your software be so stupid to make changes to the wrong
    > > volume? The system starts from another physical hard-disk!

    George

    Exactly where would you expect SP2 to load bearing in mind it is an XP
    update?

    > "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> this is for a single os, hope it helps
    >
    > Thank You very much, Jim!
    > It is e exactly as I thought - this option is for XP and not for the
    > Server
    > (at least not yet).
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP-SP2 is stupid enough to write it to the wrong place
    > and
    > even on the wrong hard-disk.
    >

    >> [boot loader]
    >> timeout=30
    >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >> [operating systems]
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    >> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >> "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >> > [boot loader]
    >> > timeout=0
    >> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >> > [operating systems]
    >> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
    >> > Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    >> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\XP="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional"
    >> > /fastdetect
    >> >

    >> > First, please tell me what is this option for and where should I add
    >> > it?
    >> > /NoExecute=OptOut
    >> > I believe that it is for the memory execution restriction future is
    >> > XP-SP2.
    >> >
    >> > Second, why is it added to the Server?
    >> >
    >> > Third, how could Your software be so stupid to make changes to the
    >> > wrong
    >> > volume? The system starts from another physical hard-disk!

    What it does:
    1. On the partition where Windows is installed (the computer doesn't boot
    from it, I just keep a backup copy of boot.ini)
    2. Open boot.ini and find the first line.
    3. Make changes.

    What it should do:
    1. Enumerate boot partition.
    2. Parse boot.ini and find the line which start the OS.
    3. Make changes.

    What wrong it does:
    1. Chooses the partition - changes may not take effect.
    2. The line points to different OS - changes the boot options for another OS
    which is a very bad idea.

    "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > George
    >
    > Exactly where would you expect SP2 to load bearing in mind it is an XP
    > update?
    >

    > "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> this is for a single os, hope it helps
    > >
    > > Thank You very much, Jim!
    > > It is e exactly as I thought - this option is for XP and not for the
    > > Server
    > > (at least not yet).
    > >
    > > Microsoft Windows XP-SP2 is stupid enough to write it to the wrong place
    > > and
    > > even on the wrong hard-disk.
    > >

    > >> [boot loader]
    > >> timeout=30
    > >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > >> [operating systems]
    > >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > >> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    > >> "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Professional"

Configuration Partition Microsoft Windows XP