SP2 writes wrong data to boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\XP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
/fastdetect

First, please tell me what is this option for and where should I add it?
/NoExecute=OptOut
I believe that it is for the memory execution restriction future is XP-SP2.

Second, why is it added to the Server?

Third, how could Your software be so stupid to make changes to the wrong
volume? The system starts from another physical hard-disk!

BigJim

this is for a single os, hope it helps

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> this is for a single os, hope it helps

Thank You very much, Jim!
It is e exactly as I thought - this option is for XP and not for the Server
(at least not yet).

Microsoft Windows XP-SP2 is stupid enough to write it to the wrong place and
even on the wrong hard-disk.

> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=0
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
> > Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\XP="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional"
> > /fastdetect
> >

> > First, please tell me what is this option for and where should I add it?
> > /NoExecute=OptOut
> > I believe that it is for the memory execution restriction future is
> > XP-SP2.
> >
> > Second, why is it added to the Server?
> >
> > Third, how could Your software be so stupid to make changes to the wrong
> > volume? The system starts from another physical hard-disk!

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> this is for a single os, hope it helps

Thank You very much, Jim!
It is e exactly as I thought - this option is for XP and not for the Server
(at least not yet).

Microsoft Windows XP-SP2 is stupid enough to write it to the wrong place and
even on the wrong hard-disk.

> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=0
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
> > Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\XP="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional"
> > /fastdetect
> >

> > First, please tell me what is this option for and where should I add it?
> > /NoExecute=OptOut
> > I believe that it is for the memory execution restriction future is
> > XP-SP2.
> >
> > Second, why is it added to the Server?
> >
> > Third, how could Your software be so stupid to make changes to the wrong
> > volume? The system starts from another physical hard-disk!

George

Exactly where would you expect SP2 to load bearing in mind it is an XP
update?

> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> this is for a single os, hope it helps
>
> Thank You very much, Jim!
> It is e exactly as I thought - this option is for XP and not for the
> Server
> (at least not yet).
>
> Microsoft Windows XP-SP2 is stupid enough to write it to the wrong place
> and
> even on the wrong hard-disk.
>

>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=30
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>> "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> > [boot loader]
>> > timeout=0
>> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>> > [operating systems]
>> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,
>> > Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
>> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\XP="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional"
>> > /fastdetect
>> >

>> > First, please tell me what is this option for and where should I add
>> > it?
>> > /NoExecute=OptOut
>> > I believe that it is for the memory execution restriction future is
>> > XP-SP2.
>> >
>> > Second, why is it added to the Server?
>> >
>> > Third, how could Your software be so stupid to make changes to the
>> > wrong
>> > volume? The system starts from another physical hard-disk!

What it does:
1. On the partition where Windows is installed (the computer doesn't boot
from it, I just keep a backup copy of boot.ini)
2. Open boot.ini and find the first line.
3. Make changes.

What it should do:
1. Enumerate boot partition.
2. Parse boot.ini and find the line which start the OS.
3. Make changes.

What wrong it does:
1. Chooses the partition - changes may not take effect.
2. The line points to different OS - changes the boot options for another OS
which is a very bad idea.