newb turning pro.........trying

Status
Not open for further replies.

tharo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
let me first thank you for taking the time to read this
so as the thread title says, i am super new to building pc let alone a gaming pc, in fact this will be my first built pc once i order the parts. since this is my first build i have this undispersible fear that at least one part will end up not being able to fit into something :(. if anyone can forsure tell just by looking that this expensive lego like project will fit together with the parts selected for this rig, please let me know.

here's my under $550 budget gaming pc set up. Some input and general advice is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, thank you for taking a look.
PS: before you start recommending all these better parts that would make this build 10x better, please keep in mind a few things
---No plans of overclocking, at least not the cpu. MAYBE the gpu, maybe
---this will be strictly a MMORPGS gaming pc, not being built for crysis, skyrim, battlefield bad company etc etc. More like its being built to deliver good fps at HIGH TO MAX settings on games like SWTOR, Guild wars 2.
---The maximum res i will be playing on my current monitor is 1600x900 anyways, i think this rig should be perfect for my current situation right?
---BUDGET :(. i would love to upgrade to a better mobo, i5-2500k, radeon HD 6950 etc etc but i am on a very tight budget. but wouldnt all those be overkill for a rig being used for just MMORPGS anyways?

alright without further delay, here is what i came with for my over all plans/current situation. should i go ahead and order parts?
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core $99.99

CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing $12.99

Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS Micro ATX LGA1155 $59.99

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 $32.00

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM $43.98

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB $106.97

Case: Xion XON-CBX01-RD ATX Mid Tower $39.99 [59.99 before mail in rebate]

Power Supply: HEC 585W ATX12V $31.98

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer $16.99

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $99.99

Breakdown can be seen here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3xvW
Original build here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3wrH

so what do you think? also at the end of your reply, can you tell me your opinion on how high the settings you think i'll be able to achieve? again all advice/input greatly appreciated, help a major newb out man

Solution
To bold, use lower-cased like this:

OT: Honestly, I'd really up the budget by about $32 so you could get the HAF 912 case. Everything also looks great.

tharo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
ah, alright. i'll take a look at the case now, thanks for the reply

by the way, may i ask why you suggested that case? or rather, why you suggested a better case in general

edit: ah, ok. thanks :)

tharo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
alright, i've made a few changes because i needed to add optical drive and also a new better case, at least "cooler" looking. i also plan on buying 1 more fan for the case

i've edited the OP to show the changes, but here's the main change:
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS Micro ATX LGA1155
a friend on facebook told me for my budget and with no plans of overclocking, this is good. also good match up for the intel i3 2100, didnt fully understand what he meant, guess he meant the hyper threading support ?

hoping this build will do it, i keep going back and forth on wether the Radeon HD 6770 will do the job for what i'm going for

tharo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
yeah that was the other thing, i am new to all this and since this is my first build, i keep second guessing myself when it comes to making sure each part works with the other. last thing i want is to ship parts back with the biggest face palm in history.

mainly what i've gathered so far is that most of these parts will fit into the mobo right? its the power suply i'm having the main issue on trying to figure out if it's made for the case i'm buying

ram memory i look at the 240 pin dimm

memory i look at the interface right?= SATA 6 Gb/s or 3GB/s [mobo only lists 3GB/s]

video card i look at interface again right? interface = PCI-Express x16 [but on the mobo it says PCI-Express 2.0 x16, should this concern me?]

case i look at type, type= ATX

cpu i look at supported cpu socket on mobo[if only the rest were that easy]

cpu fan= LGA115?

optical drive= SATA 6 Gb/s or 3GB/s

PSU= got me there lol

If you are using an i3/5/7 CPU the socket is lg1155. lg2011 supports only i7 cpus (just an fyi).

A midtower case can hold micro- and regular ATX.

For the interface question, SATA II is mainly for hard drives and SATA III is for solid state drives.

PCIe 2.0 is currently the standard. The new gen of AMD GPUs (the 7970) will use 3.0 but should run on your mobo. I am currently on my phone atm so I can't check yet.

For optical drives just get one with CD/DVD but make sure it is SATA.

As far as power is concerned. that PSU works. IDK if it is 80+ certified or not so double check that. Good brands are PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, and Antec (possibly XFX).

For RAM, get atleast 4 GB but no more than 8. Look for RAM that is atleast 1333 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.