Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 560 Ti temps weird on idle

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 2:57:22 PM

After starting Windows, the card's temperature slowly crawls up all the way from 35C to 45C and hangs there.



However, opening the case and touching the card, wiggling it up and down a bit causes the nVidia driver to crash and restart



after which the temps crawl back towards the regular 35C idle.



On load, the card's temperature is always fine - never goes above 70C, more often not even above 65C.

Card: MSI NGTX-560Ti Twin Frozr II OC
Driver version: 285.62

The rest of the config is in the signature, though I doubt it's relevant here.

In case that's relevant, there were two issues with the card in the last two weeks:

1) Driver kept crashing and restoring no matter the version, making any game practically unplayable. Fixed by re-seating the card.
2) Mirror's Edge framerate with PhysX enabled degrades to an unplayable 5-10 fps when PhysX effects go off (glass breaking, etc.) The GPU is selected as a PhysX renderer in the nVidia control panel and the issue was not present 3 weeks ago when I beat Mirror's Edge for the first time.

Anyone having similar issue(s)? Thoughts? And please don't answer "RMA the card"... I get the feeling this is fixable by other means. Driver issue, maybe?
November 8, 2011 3:12:43 PM

interesting, my reference card 560ti idles right around 43.. i was going to first say because of increasing case temperatures while the system is finishing booting but the whole driver crash then temperature drop is just wierd... also i would DEFINITELY stop wiggling the card while it is in the socket, that is an accident waiting to happen. i know that when i overclock my card and then turn the fan speed up the fan stops running all together and i get a black screen then a drivers crash sooo i would say it has something to do with the drivers and the fan not running even though afterburner is reporting that it is
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 3:19:42 PM

joemama069 said:
interesting, my reference card 560ti idles right around 43.. i was going to first say because of increasing case temperatures while the system is finishing booting but the whole driver crash then temperature drop is just wierd... also i would DEFINITELY stop wiggling the card while it is in the socket, that is an accident waiting to happen. i know that when i overclock my card and then turn the fan speed up the fan stops running all together and i get a black screen then a drivers crash sooo i would say it has something to do with the drivers and the fan not running even though afterburner is reporting that it is


Fans are running, I checked. And I'm not even wiggling it, that wasn't fully correct... it's enough to touch it ever so slightly, and the drivers crash with black screen happens, then restore. Temps reporting is correct (card DOES get much colder after temps drop just from the feel of it).

Right now, it's actually idling @ 33C. I have excessive cooling for a single card - there's a side fan and the PSU fan blowing directly on it; without them it idles at 40-42C, too.

EDIT: clean re-install of 280.26 - testing now.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 3:36:16 PM

UPDATE: Clean re-install of 280.26 fixed the issue with the startup temps buildup. Happily idling @ 33-35C again :)  Hopefully whoever has the same problem will find an answer here - f!@% the 285.62 drivers. They might be optimized for BF3, but not for good GPU temps.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 4:27:46 PM

Those are not very hot temps for a gpu. Above 70 is around the time i would be getting scared.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 4:33:20 PM

^
@Djentleman
why? 70s are perfectly acceptable in some gpus/scenarios my TI runs at 72C max when it is highly oc'ed.. while it idles at 35 C no problems here
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 4:34:17 PM

Djentleman said:
Those are not very hot temps for a gpu. Above 70 is around the time i would be getting scared.


12C hotter than normal on idle? Though, that's the behaviour that concerned me most. Combined with other BS problems I've listed, it was slowly convincing me that the card is dying on me or something :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 4:34:59 PM

OP: what make and model psu are you using?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 4:41:29 PM

jjb8675309 said:
OP: what make and model psu are you using?


Huh. Sig's gone again, for some weird reason... Corsair TX750W.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 5:06:06 PM

oh okay well thats a reliable unit so scratch that...

285.62 works fine with my TI but then again I use an aggressive fan profile in MSI afterburner so being on auto may cause your temps to rise more then the average user
Share
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 5:31:10 PM

jjb8675309 said:
oh okay well thats a reliable unit so scratch that...

285.62 works fine with my TI but then again I use an aggressive fan profile in MSI afterburner so being on auto may cause your temps to rise more then the average user


I am not on auto. I have aggressive fan curve, too, but it's not aggressive on such low temps. See, there's a diff of 12C on the same fan speed and GPU load - older driver works fine, newer one screws up. Don't think many people noticed that.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 6:45:23 PM

yeah well in general im just saying that I havent seen any idle temp jumps with my TI with the new drivers...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 10:05:07 AM

jjb8675309 said:
yeah well in general im just saying that I havent seen any idle temp jumps with my TI with the new drivers...


Maybe it doesn't affect all models or something. Anyway, thanks for the help, everyone!
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 5:10:24 PM

Best answer selected by amk-aka-Phantom.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 12:38:46 PM

try the latest drivers out... Ive had success with them
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 12:41:41 PM

jjb8675309 said:
try the latest drivers out... Ive had success with them


Isn't 285.62 the latest? What do you mean by success?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 2:03:52 PM

285.79
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 2:04:11 PM

they work well for me and my gtx 560ti
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 2:10:56 PM

jjb8675309 said:
they work well for me and my gtx 560ti


Huh, new drivers... thanks, gotta try them out.

EDIT: nevermind, that's a beta.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 2:12:35 PM

yup give it a whirl___ now back to skyrim
Score
0
!