Your question

Dell dimension 8300 power supply upgrade

Last response: in Components
April 17, 2012 4:18:21 PM

Hello,
What's the price on the 400 w upgrade for dell dimension 8300
a b ) Power supply
April 17, 2012 5:03:30 PM

if you have a dell you have to look for proprietary power supply. the connectors looks the same but the wiring positions are different. dont use a regular power supply
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 17, 2012 5:09:36 PM

The Dimension 8300 is an older Dell that requires the use of a switchless psu, or the cutting of the back panel to allow for a switch.
The pinout is standard ATX.
There's really nothing you could do to the system that would require a 400 watt psu, and it would cost more than the sytem is worth.
Here's a 350w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Related resources
July 9, 2012 9:54:17 PM

delluser1 said:
The Dimension 8300 is an older Dell that requires the use of a switchless psu, or the cutting of the back panel to allow for a switch.
The pinout is standard ATX.
There's really nothing you could do to the system that would require a 400 watt psu, and it would cost more than the sytem is worth.
Here's a 350w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I disagree I upgraded my system about 4/5 years ago with a Geforce 7600gs graphics card and that required a 400w supply system. Also upgraded the sound card to a 7 channel surround sound by creative put in an additional 400gb hard drive + added dvd/cd burner. I replaced my original dell psu with a SILENCER 410 DELL-2 from pc power & cooling inc (usa). See my other recent post, this power supply has been working 24-7 since it was installed. We had a power cut last night and for about 5 mins the electrics was on and off several times and I'm fairly certain a spike has killed my beloved PSU.

regard daz

P.S. Well worth the money I paid :) 
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 10:29:23 PM

dazaboy said:
I disagree I upgraded my system about 4/5 years ago with a Geforce 7600gs graphics card and that required a 400w supply system. Also upgraded the sound card to a 7 channel surround sound by creative put in an additional 400gb hard drive + added dvd/cd burner. I replaced my original dell psu with a SILENCER 410 DELL-2 from pc power & cooling inc (usa). See my other recent post, this power supply has been working 24-7 since it was installed. We had a power cut last night and for about 5 mins the electrics was on and off several times and I'm fairly certain a spike has killed my beloved PSU.

regard daz

P.S. Well worth the money I paid :) 

Manufacturers power reccomendations are not requirements
If you had the 22a/ 305w Dell psu the 23a/ 410w PCP&C was more of a ripoff than an upgrade ( And that doesn't take into account that PCP&C typically charged $50 more for the Dell compatible Silencer without a switch than it did for the standard Silencer with the switch, the only difference between them )
The 7600gs was a 28w max card, would have easily run on the Dell 250w even with the rest of your upgrades
July 9, 2012 11:10:46 PM

I can understand where you are coming from. As a consumer I would normally follow manufacturers recommendations so there is no issues if say the graphics card went faulty during the guarantee period. Same as I would do with most purchased goods.
I still have the original 250w psu in mint condition. Your advise and expertise goes against the common sense grain a little in my opinion though you sound like you know what your talking about. Without any heat issues I can safetly install the dell model no PS-5251-2DFS into my tower unit without a worry? You dont think the psu will be working hard and because of it the annoying fan would be running all the time. just a thought thats all. The fan on my existing psu only came in to play when I was doing some serious video editing.
a b ) Power supply
July 10, 2012 12:21:34 AM

As Weird Al says: "Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

Seriously, just like with old cars, there is a point of diminishing returns in upgrading old computers.
July 10, 2012 6:00:38 PM

Temile said:
As Weird Al says: "Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

Seriously, just like with old cars, there is a point of diminishing returns in upgrading old computers.

Well thanks buddy for your wise old words! Only there's me thinking this is a support or help forum when in reality it is an abuse forum. What you call junk is what I call a computer. You may be super flush with big wads of money to go buying new gadgets as they arrive but some of us try and revamp our gadgets to make them last because we cant afford much more. My pc upgrades didn't cost the earth, if they did it would of been false economy to keep it going.

In one word you call it Junk and slag off my pc
and then you give it the thumbs up by calling It an antique!
Just for the record he is a quick insight as to the meaning of the word.

"ANTIQUE"
A collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age.

I take that as a compliment although judging by the nature of your response I think you were just being plane nasty. :pfff: 

a b ) Power supply
July 10, 2012 9:32:09 PM

dazaboy said:
Well thanks buddy for your wise old words! Only there's me thinking this is a support or help forum when in reality it is an abuse forum. What you call junk is what I call a computer. You may be super flush with big wads of money to go buying new gadgets as they arrive but some of us try and revamp our gadgets to make them last because we cant afford much more. My pc upgrades didn't cost the earth, if they did it would of been false economy to keep it going.

In one word you call it Junk and slag off my pc
and then you give it the thumbs up by calling It an antique!
Just for the record he is a quick insight as to the meaning of the word.

"ANTIQUE"
A collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age.

I take that as a compliment although judging by the nature of your response I think you were just being plane nasty. :pfff: 

Did you even watch the video? I'm sorry I offended you with my attempt at providing advice (don't get sentimental about computer gear and waste money on upgrades) with a touch of humor.
July 10, 2012 11:58:27 PM

Nothing to do with getting sentimental at all my friend. I'm not in love with my p.c. If it never lives again I wont be beating myself up about it. I just don't believe in chucking things away that still have a use and suits my requirements. Finding a solution means that I may get another few years out of the system. and when I have finished with it, family or friends will get the use of it too. Often on these forums I hear people having no end of problems with operating systems, hardware/software problems driver issues bla de bla. My system is regularly maintained is (was) reasonably fast (for my purposes) and up until the psu failure, ran without any glitches, always has done. If I gave up and dumped it, which is the easy option it would only end up dumped on a pile somewhere in india for the poor kids to sift through. We are a throw away nation and live in a throw away world, all to get the next best and biggest thing.
How is it wasting money on upgrades when you dont even know what price I paid for these Items. What a stupid thing to say, you just cant help yourself. Have I missed something? Where is this attempt at providing advice? so far all that's come out of your head is its junk, its antique, don't waste money on upgrades. That's a real easy number. I could give that sort of advice everyday across the board, to anyone regarding anything. If you had offered a sensible solution then slipped junk somewhere in the mix perhaps then I would of seen the funny side.

!