Core temps at 98 at "idle", normal CPU usage in task manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

grifta67

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a peculiar issue that's popped up a couple times over the last few days. CoreTemp will report all 4 cores running at 98C and load is ~0% for all but one core. That other core bounces around ~8% - ~15%; more than I would expect at idle.

I immediately pulled up Task Manager and there weren't any processes using a noticeable or irregular amount of CPU; just the normal idle stuff that would periodically jump to the top of the list, but for the most part everything was 0% with some background processes popping up with ~3% or ~4% here and there. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Next thing I checked was getting a second opinion of the temps since some people say CoreTemp is unreliable. I loaded up SpeedFan and it was reporting the same thing, 98C on all four cores.

Any ideas on how to figure out what's causing this? Beyond checking Task Manager, I'm at a loss on how to see what might be doing it. The few times it's happened I simply reboot the machine and it's all back to normal.

Specs
CPU: i5-2500k 3.3GHz (not OC'd)
Heatsink: Stock intel (plan to buy Hyper 212 when next rebate rolls around)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Pro3-M
Memory: (2 x 4GB) Patriot Gamer 2 Series
GFX: Gigabyte Radeon 6850 1GB
PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520w
HD: Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm 6gb/s
Case: Thermaltake Black v3

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Have you gone into the BIOS and check what the system status was? It seems for your cpu to be running at that temp it should start to melt down. That's pretty hot? Is this a new build currently. did you use thermal paste? if so, did you apply it evenly? Or your fan isn't working the way it's suppose too...hmmm

Or the temp sensors are not calibrated correctly on the board.

The Intel® Stock HSF (heatsink/fan) can be a little tricky to get locked in. So if you are having any high temps on a new system this is the most likely cause. Simple way to test to make sure that the HSF is seated well is to reach in and pull each of the twist clip straight up. If you can pull them straight the HSF wasn't seated well. For me with the Intel stock HSF I always put it on the board before I mount the board in the case since this will allow me to check the backside of the board to make sure all the clips are through and locked in place.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

grifta67

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll check this first thing when I get home tonight.

The only part I'm a bit confused on is that if this was the problem, wouldn't I see high temps on a regular basis?

It's a new build, put together a little over two weeks ago. This particular problem only started the other day. Also, I've played high load games (Metro 2033) with no problems and temps not reaching the 90s.

Thanks!

edit: mandude, I haven't checked the BIOS, what in particular would I be looking for?

Last edited:
Not really most of the time the 2nd generation Intel Core processor runs fairly cool. So it is only when you start to push it does the temperatures rise. This is because you don't a good connection the HSF. With the stock cooler you can look at temperatures around 40c and I would guess around 70c unload with the stock cooler. Try to use HWMonitor to watch your temps. You may want to pick up a tube of some thermal paste to re-seat the HSF.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

In the bios you can check the system status which also tells you what temp you are idling at. That way you're not relying on software telling you. Also you can see your system and cpu fan speed. See if the statuses match what your software in windows is telling you.

Status
Not open for further replies.