Adding a graphics card to a Biostar N68S3+ mother board

G

Hello,
I am running windows 7 ultimate and i do not know what sort of graphics i have, i know they are on board so i was wondering if a graphics card would improve anything, i have 2gig of memory and 3 ghz processor. what card would you suggest if any.
Many thanks
John

G

Hi.
PSU is CTK Model ATX 500w P4, My budget would be less than £40.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hmm, that PSU is not good enough to run modern cards. You best bet is to get either Radeon HD 5570 or 5670. I don't know the price though.

i would grab either a 5670 or a 6670 depending which is cheaper since they are about the same performance, and neither of those cards require external power :)..

what proc do you have? buying a new gpu would be quite pointless if you have something from 2003 :)

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hello,
I am running windows 7 ultimate and i do not know what sort of graphics i have, i know they are on board so i was wondering if a graphics card would improve anything, i have 2gig of memory and 3 ghz processor. what card would you suggest if any.
Many thanks
John
Adding a graphics card will increase your computer's performance when running graphic intensive programs. Such as, games, 3D design, video editing or just watching HD videos. Not sure what processor you run but, the integrated graphics provided by Intel is sufficient to run 720p videos smoothly, 1080p will stutter a little; unless you have the newer Intel IGP.
Not forgetting, there is Nvidia's CUDA technology which makes your graphics card ease the workload of your CPU when not running graphic intensive applications.
The question now is, what do you expect of your graphics card? Also, need more specifications of your PC and also what type of games and resolution you play them at (if you do play any). This will help the other forum members aid you.
Hope this helps. ;)

G

Thanks everyone, my processor is a AMD Athlon 11 x2 250 3.00 ghz, I play games occasionally but not the latest 3D but i do edit videos of my family so i thought a card would help me with that task and ease the strain on my computer. some of the latest video editing programs do seem to require a lot more of my computer. pinnacle studio for example.

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Yes, it will help lessen the load.
At your budget, I can only recommend the Nvidia's GT220 or AMD's HD5450. Slightly above it is the HD5570 (~50£). Adding more RAm into your system will also help but, that will go over budget.