Your question

First build need some input

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2012 1:48:40 PM

This is my first time building a PC from scratch so please bear with me. It is likely I'll have a bunch of newbie questions.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next month

Budget Range: 800-900$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, fraps, creating/editing videos, drawing, music, watching movies, etc..

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, but if there's a better place I'm open to suggestion.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: leaning towards amd/ radeon

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but this will be a future upgrade that I don't need right now.

Here is what i came up with myself as a starting point. i would like to stay under $900.00

looking at 8gb mem, and just wanting to run BF3 and SWTOR decently.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

More about : build input

January 6, 2012 2:19:23 PM
Related resources
January 6, 2012 2:25:05 PM

do not listen to guy on top waste $100 more on i7 2600k its futureproof trust me and an ssd
m
l
January 6, 2012 2:32:42 PM

If you happen to live near a Microcenter, the i5-2500k CPU is only $179 all day every day. Their deals on other items are not as good but they will match places like Newegg.

The system listed by sosofm is very good although I prefer Gigabyte motherboards. ASUS is also good.
m
l
January 6, 2012 2:37:48 PM

i actually do live near a microcenter around chicago
m
l
January 6, 2012 2:49:56 PM
January 6, 2012 2:50:19 PM

I checked both Chicago stores and the price is the same. They also each have 10 in stock. You can actually order online for in store pickup so it will be ready if you get there. If you do any price matching, just print out the web page showing the price from Newegg or wherever and take it with you.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
l
January 6, 2012 2:53:54 PM

tlmck said:
I checked both Chicago stores and the price is the same. They also each have 10 in stock. You can actually order online for in store pickup so it will be ready if you get there. If you do any price matching, just print out the web page showing the price from Newegg or wherever and take it with you.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

OP wants AMD/Radeon
m
l
January 6, 2012 2:57:49 PM

nick3232 said:
do not listen to guy on top waste $100 more on i7 2600k its futureproof trust me and an ssd

You really should stop giving people advice. Honestly, everywhere I see you, you're giving out bad/unsupported advice.

That being said, soso put together a solid build. No reason to lean towards AMD CPUs at the moment, since the i5-2500k still seems to be a dominant CPU for gaming.

Headspin_69 said:
OP wants AMD/Radeon

Not necessarily, OP said leaning towards.
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:01:55 PM

digitalzom-b said:
You really should stop giving people advice. Honestly, everywhere I see you, you're giving out bad/unsupported advice.

That being said, soso put together a solid build. No reason to lean towards AMD CPUs at the moment, since the i5-2500k still seems to be a dominant CPU for gaming.

Not necessarily, OP said leaning towards.

For gaming OCed FX8120 is not losing anything to i52500K
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:04:35 PM

Headspin_69 said:

Perhaps, and 8 core does provide a good level of future-proof, problem is most developers aren't even taking advantage of 4 cores yet :/ .
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:05:53 PM

whats the difference in brands for GPU's?
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:11:44 PM

phasmantis said:
Perhaps, and 8 core does provide a good level of future-proof, problem is most developers aren't even taking advantage of 4 cores yet :/ .

There are many games today that benefit from a quad core architecture including FSX, GTA4, RTS games, BF3, BF2, The Witcher 2, Saints Row the 3rd, are just off the top of my head plus this is a pure gaming Rig for the OP so more cores the better for down to road and 4 cores are becoming the norm dual is on the way out.
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:15:07 PM

notoriousverb said:
whats the difference in brands for GPU's?

The MSI Twin Frozer III I selected offers higher performance custom cooling solution silence, High performance Jap Capacitors, and a fully custom PCB all together with the highest binned GPU = best OC potential and performance cream of the crop.
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:18:57 PM

i was just wondering with a 50.00 price difference from the saphire brand
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:24:41 PM

notoriousverb said:

It a far better card and will run cooler quieter last longer and Overclock and perform all around better strait out of the box plus has lots more OC headroom. Plus its comes with a game. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:53:34 PM

notoriousverb said:

I think Headspin has a good build there I mean you can't go wrong with Unified architecture.
m
l
January 6, 2012 4:58:17 PM

If OP is willing to forgo some CPU performance I can present to OP a crossfire settup that will outperform anything listed here for $280 and even outperforming GTX 580 for $280
m
l
January 6, 2012 5:18:24 PM

im open to anything, seeing all my options is the best thing i can do.
m
l
January 6, 2012 7:09:20 PM

Headspin_69 said:

OCd FX-8150 = Not OC'd 2500k
OCd 2500k >>>>> OCd FX-8150

That is pretty much better in every area. Processing power, power requirements, heat, and all that. The 2500k usually beats the FX-8150 in price too.
m
l
!