Sign in with
Your question

Increasing RAM speed to stock speed

Last response: in Motherboards
February 26, 2013 2:07:07 PM

Hello, in my custom built pc I have an asrock 880gm le fx motherboard, kingston hyperx ram 2x4gb, and a phenom 2 x4 965, 600 watt power supply, radeon hd 6950.

The thing is the ram is capable of running at 1600mhz but my cpu keeps it locked at 1333 mhz, I want to get the full speed it is capable of, so I know I have to tinker with the bios settings obviously.

However this would be my first time modifying bios settings to increase ram speed so I'm not sure if I have to increase voltages, overclock the cpu a bit. Sorry for sounding nooby here I guess, just wondering if anyone could help me get the ball rolling on this?
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 2:41:27 PM

press del key to go to bios
under overclock settings there will be RAM area and select 1600
m
l
March 5, 2013 3:31:22 PM

I know, but are there any other settings needed to be changed to accomadate for the increased ram speed. More speed means more power intake, so I'm just guessing if voltages need to be upped on the ram? I don't know just wondering if this is needed or I can just increase it right away?
m
l
April 9, 2013 5:25:06 AM

metalheadpcjunkie said:
I know, but are there any other settings needed to be changed to accomadate for the increased ram speed. More speed means more power intake, so I'm just guessing if voltages need to be upped on the ram? I don't know just wondering if this is needed or I can just increase it right away?

1600MHz @1.5V-1.652V. Careful though. I heard something about having to lower CPU clock speed to compensate.
m
l
!