Max memory support for AMD FX cpu's...4x16GB?

atamgp

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hi all. I want to build a server for virtualization:

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 with AMD CPU FX8350

This board seems to support ECC memory :)

Officially Asus states 32GB support. But the memory controller is build in the cpu....
And the FX series seems to support 64GB memory.

So my questions is... has anyone tested these cpu's with 64GB? And also ECC udimms?

It is kinda expensive, so want to be sure before i buy.

Thanks!

Even tough the controller is integrated into the cpu, the bios still has to see/identify the ram sticks, so 32GB is max. But i can confirm, that it works with unbuffered ECC ram. Beside that you should check the driver situation. There are no drivers for a M$ server os.

I just did a little research and couldn't find any 16GB unbuffered ECC sticks like you would need!?

atamgp

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Thanks for the ecc conform. The FX cpu itself seems to support ecc / non-ecc reg/non-reg memory.
Sadly no server mobo's have been developed for Am3+ and reg memory support. Because there are a lot affordable 16GB ecc dimms, but registered.

I could only find 1 unbuffered 16GB dimm which is very pricy:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT2K16G3ELSLQ41339

Perhaps we have to wait for some time and a bios update for these chips to become common and thus cheaper.....

ps i don't need MS Server drivers for 64GB support. I would use Ubuntu with KVM virtualization with perhaps some MS windows guests....

The fact that for virtualization memory becomes the first bottleneck before cpu and I/O makes the FX cpu (64Gb support) more interesting than the much praised Xeon E3, which supports max 32GB. But this only makes sense if in the future my fx motherboard will support 64GB.

atamgp

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
C32 are very slow....

i think i will pay more and go for dual G34.... and make use of cheap reg ecc ram (of which 16GB dimms are available).

I cannot seem to find a brand (IBM, Dell, HP....) which has a 1U dual G34 rack server.....seems like i have to build one

atamgp

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
C32 are very slow....

i think i will pay more and go for dual G34.... and make use of cheap reg ecc ram (of which 16GB dimms are available).

I cannot seem to find a brand (IBM, Dell, HP....) which has a 1U dual G34 rack server.....seems like i have to build one