Sign in with
Your question

New build reboot loop.

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2012 3:06:11 PM

Hey chaps,

After a few weeks of solid use I knocked my first new build slightly and after it started to act sluggish and freeze on menus. I had look inside and made sure everything was plugged in right and took out the RAM and slotted it in again. To my dismay, the computer entered in to a reboot loop, starting up again for about 10 secs and giving constant beeps that the manual says is related to the graphics card not being inserted correctly.
I tried the graphics card and believe it isn't the culprit. I made sure also that the RAM was in properly.
Any ideas? What have I destroyed?
The RAM is next to the CPU fan. Could I have knocked out the CPU?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-910-HTX3-G1 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P61-USB3-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Windows 7 UE

Thanks for help in advance.
My expensive new build is now a large book shelf.
I'm a novice so any suggestions are welcome.

More about : build reboot loop

January 6, 2012 3:27:01 PM

what do you mean you 'tried the graphics card'. Did you reseat it? Can you put it in another PCI-E slot and try booting... Your may have damaged the PCI-E slot on the motherboard... or you may have damaged the Graphics card circuit.

You could reseat the CPU, but they are generally pretty solid and don't get dislodged very easily.

Can you try it without the hard drive installed? The beeps are weird, but hitting your PC while the hard drive is spinning can kill the hard drive.

What do you mean 'knocked'?
January 6, 2012 3:36:17 PM

+1 to jd.... define "knocked"

I'd get some more thermal paste, tear it all the way down, pull the Mobo out and have a good look at it for cracks.

Then carefully reseat everything, change slots for the Video card, and crank it up.

If you knocked the case over and it hit the ground, you may have cracked a slot holder and have a bad connection.
January 6, 2012 3:52:59 PM

Hey chaps,

Some progress...
The computer now boots. I hadn't inserted the RAM all the way, even though the clips were shut. I literally had to ram in the RAM.
This though hasn't solved the initial problem of the computer being slow.
It holds on menus and when starting programs. CTR, ALT, DEL seems to unfreeze it.
Task manager says all is good.
The knock was enough to go 'ouch' but It didn't fall over.
!