Preconfigured barebones won't soft reboot

y2kfuller

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I recently ordered a barebones kit from TigerDirect that has been fully assembled, disassembled and reassembled (to ensure proper contacts) but I'm getting sporadic issues on reboots. I have been able to get the machine to boot, post and even install Windows7 on the HDD. However, when I attempt to reboot the machine through Windows, it will not reach POST. Power will come on, fans will spin, lights will shine...but I cannot even get to BIOS. I have to physically remove the power cable from the power supply and attempt a cold start for the machine. Sometimes it will work on the first try and sometimes it takes two. I get the same response if I use the power button on the front of the case to power down the machine and restart.

The specs for the devices are linked below from TigerDirect. To reserve power, thinking it may be under powered, I have removed the DVD. Only one additional add to the box was a 120mm fan for the case.

I have swapped the 450W power supply for an older 550W power supply and have the same results. Any thoughts? Am I looking at a defective motherboard or processor??

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1706926&sku=B69-0488

y2kfuller

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I've adjusted various settings there already but stopped when I realized that I run into issues even if I never get Windows to load. If I get past the POST and enter BIOS, after saving changes and exiting, I drop off the end of the earth.

OK, maybe I am lost. Help me out.

The way I understood the problem is this:

1) If you turn it on (cold boot) it usually always works.
2) If you restart it (warm boot) it never works.

This could be a power management issue, if so.

If the problem is something else, then please re-iterate it.