$1500 gaming rig

dwreckd

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I've never built a gaming rig before and in trying to do research I've just come out more confused than I was to start. So any help would be much appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date:within the next three or so months

Budget Range: 1200-1500 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing net

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse,
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference

Parts Preferences: no preference
Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire:probably down the line

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments:

dwreckd

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
@sosofm Well I was gonna start buying parts now, but won't be able to buy all the parts until my tax return comes back.

@nick that link sent me to an empty wishlist

Lokster1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Well since you have time to get parts for the next couple of months you can price shop a little better than if you needed it today, I would come up with some parts that you want and then watch for daily deals to try to get them cheaper than they normally are. For a gaming PC the i5-2500k is basically the best performance for the cost you can get right now and so I would look for deals on that CPU (any chance of a microcenter near you??). Also I would be looking for a great deal on a SSD for OS drive (60GB would do but 120GB is better), RAM is super cheap right now but I would wait on this until you pick out a Mobo.

Basically I would come up with a parts list and then watch pricing on those parts to try and catch deals.