Sign in with
Your question

What should I upgrade first?

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2012 4:58:55 PM

Hey guys. Looking to get some advice on what component of my PC I should focus on upgrading first to see the largest increase in performance. I mainly care about performance in games.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 6GB DDR3
Video Card: Raeon HD 5770 1GB
Harddrive: 1TB WD 7200RPM Sata 3.0
Power Supply: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue
Motherboard: Pegatron Eureka3. Chipset P45/P43

The motherboard is probably garbage since I took it from an old-ish HP machine.

Thanks!

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2012 5:59:25 PM

It looks like the biggest performance increase would be in upgrading a graphics card...you want something mid ranged so that it doesn't bottleneck your system, something like:
GTX560Ti:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Then, in the future, you can upgrade the CPU and motherboard and RAM, but for now, the CPU is pretty decent
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2012 7:28:05 PM

If you have a crossfire board you could add another 5770 or 6770 to run in crossfire. I believe if you use a 6770 it must be the first card with your 5770 being second. If you do not have a crossfire board then Either a Radeon 6850 or GTX 460 would be a good match for your system. I also say get a good CPU tower cooler and a overclock your CPU. If you get a good overclock out of it them it might make sense to spend a little more on a 6870, GTX 560 or even a 560Ti.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2012 7:29:04 PM

We're assuming of course that you have at least a decent 500W PSU of course since you didn't list your exact PSU or motherboard.
m
l
January 6, 2012 7:53:44 PM

Other thought here is there any particular game you are having issues with on that system some might be CPU bound others GPU bound. In which case depending on what you are having issues with a CPU upgrade might do more for you than upgrading your GPU.

If you can list games you want extra performance in and your monitor's resolution (1920x1080 etc).

In my opinion though I would say a CPU upgrade would be more helpful in getting you playable framerates than a GPU upgrade at this time as there are a good amount of games out there that your CPU will be unable to play reasonably at any good resolution no matter what GPU you have. (example: Starcraft II, Lastgen Console Emulators[PS2, Gamecube/Wii]). Also an overclock of your CPU might be able to help in the mean time.
m
l
January 6, 2012 8:03:03 PM

Your in position that if you upgrade one the other is going to limit your new part. I say upgrade your gpu so that you can buy an ivy bridge cpu later
m
l
January 6, 2012 8:07:37 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. Forgot about power supply and motherboard, so I'll list them here and edit them into the first post as well.

Power Supply: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue
Motherboard: Pegatron Eureka3. Chipset P45/P43

The motherboard is probably garbage since I took it from an old-ish HP machine. Not sure if I would be able to overclock my CPU with this board, but if anyone knows otherwise let me know. Also don't think it supports crossfire either.

As for particular game performance, I can run most things I've tried just fine. I'm running at 1920x1080 and as long as I don't have any crazy settings enabled like extreme AA an such things like Skyrim and such seem to run without issue. I do, however, get less than stellar performance running The Witcher 2 at high settings. Also, I've tried emulating some of my old PS2 games and a good number of them are unplayable. I've had people tell me that PS2 emulation, especially for some games in particular, is very CPU intensive.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2012 8:08:52 PM

I believe the CPU is perfectly fine for now, upgrading the GPU is the best option in my opinion
Also, I don't think it's the computer's fault that the PS2 emulation isn't good, it's probably due to the fact that the computer isn't made to play PS2 games
m
l
January 6, 2012 8:41:31 PM

Your cpu is killing your fps in skyrim. A non overclocked sandy bridge cpu is loosing fps in that game. There's gains to be had up to 4.0 on them. Fyi
m
l
January 6, 2012 9:25:19 PM

You need a strong quad core and a 8300 is not a strong quad core
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2012 9:36:08 PM

I think the first question would be budget. If you can afford it an i5 would be the way to go I guess. Upgrading the 5770 on your current platform wouldn't be that great. BTW, my little brother has i3-2120 and 5770 and his machine runs BF3 on medium-high full hd easy.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2012 4:53:28 PM

No OC options eh? Well now it comes down to what you want to spend. If you don't want to spend much, then I would consider getting a good crossfire P45 board from eBay, a tower cooler to OC the heck out of your CPU, and 6770 to CF with your current card. Since you already have DDR3 though for a little more money you can upgrade to to an I-3 with a P67 board to CF your card.
m
l
January 7, 2012 6:50:10 PM

r0aringdrag0n said:
I believe the CPU is perfectly fine for now, upgrading the GPU is the best option in my opinion
Also, I don't think it's the computer's fault that the PS2 emulation isn't good, it's probably due to the fact that the computer isn't made to play PS2 games

It is his CPU's fault that PS2 emulation isn't good. I have the same GPU but my Phenom II 925 can play a good amount of PS2 games just fine. A i5-2500K would be the best CPU available today for PS2 emulation.

In regards to the limitations Blorker is facing a CPU upgrade would give the best benefit right now. As far as witcher 2 is concerned it might be a bit CPU bound -> http://www.techspot.com/review/405-the-witcher-2-perfor... . Given what they show even with the fastest GPU you wouldn't be able to play the witcher 2 at full settings at your resolution unless you change your CPU.
m
l
!