Corsair H100 - Fan Control not working.

Dutambalu

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I have a corsair h100 mounted on a i7 2700k and its been working great. No noise problem coming from the tubing. Been sitting at 20-24 at idle and around 40-45 when playing games. But the fan control LED is not responding at all. Though the LED that shows what setting its at works (lol) I tried resetting the firmware on it multiple times, and it would go turbo max speed then slowly gradually come back down. I have a asus rog mobo, and the bios is showing that its running at 2200RPM. I tried manually lowering down the fan itsself and still does not work. I tried speedfan and still nothing.

I have the RMA ready and was wondering if its worth shipping out or wait awhile since theres no problems other than the fan controller not working. I would have a stock intel cpu cooler if i do send it out.

Solution
Yes. the fan will turn itself up depending when the h100 block feels that it needs higher heat dissipation. When you put it on 3, the fan will ramp up to over 2500RPM when it gets hot, however, I leave my h80 on the lowest (1), and theres around 1-2'C difference compared to 3. So i'd recommend leave it at 1.

SO in essence, you don't control fan speed, but you control how much performance the fans will give you thru the h100 block. Still confused? Lmk, happy to help

constepatdyak

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
the fan controller is not meant to be controlled by you on the fly, it switches itself via the fan controller h100 block and the fan speed changes itself when the temperature of the water is higher than normal. the 3 speeds only determine how fast the fans will dissipate heat in the water. Silent, Medium, High.confusing, i know.

Dutambalu

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
So itll turn up when needed? If i put it on speed 3 (the highest) and the current speed is still the same, the fan will speed up when the water or radiator reaches a certain temp? Kinda confused

constepatdyak

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Yes. the fan will turn itself up depending when the h100 block feels that it needs higher heat dissipation. When you put it on 3, the fan will ramp up to over 2500RPM when it gets hot, however, I leave my h80 on the lowest (1), and theres around 1-2'C difference compared to 3. So i'd recommend leave it at 1.

SO in essence, you don't control fan speed, but you control how much performance the fans will give you thru the h100 block. Still confused? Lmk, happy to help

Solution

Dutambalu

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Thank you. was actually testing it with prime95 under full load on setting 3. When I turned it down to setting 1 (lowest), i can gradually hear it go down slowly to almost silent. Then vice versa.

The only thing i dont understand is that when i look at my mobo its showing that the fans (connected to the water block) are running at 2200RPM by default. I tried changing it in the bios setting, and it wouldnt slow down.

farfigneugan

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

Your motherboard isn't controlling anything about your CPU fan. That option you see in the BIOS is assuming you have a 3pin fan header connected directly from the heatsink to the motherboard. Think: stock intel fan.

You're using a 4pin Molex directly off of your power supply to provide current to the h100, which handles all fan duties itself.