Sign in with
Your question
Closed

First time Gaming build

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2012 5:12:37 PM

Hi everyone.

I've used this website for answers to lots of questions in the past (usually because someone else already asked them). Its time to build a new computer and I could use some advice. I have already picked out components and I would love some feedback on what you all think. The big things I'm looking for are any incompatibilities that I may have overlooked.

As per the form:

Approximate Purchase Date: I will be buying the components over the next month or two.

Budget Range: I'm looking to stay around $1200 US, the list as-is is right at that.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Going to be a gaming rig that will be hooked up to my TV so movies will also be played.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse or dvd drives

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Everything is off of newegg but if you know better places to find the parts for cheaper I'm all ears.

Overclocking: Maybe, depends on feedback.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: No ideas as to what will run best on my tv (A Samsung 46" LCD)

Additional Comments: This is my first full build, I have re-built my current tower a couple of times and had to do some replacement work on my wife’s computer.

Component list w/ Links:

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811112239
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$99.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822152185
$149.99

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support FPB Video Card
Item #:N82E16814130604
$249.99

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817703027
$129.99

4 X G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL
Item #:N82E16820231310
$87.96

BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813138296
$74.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
Item #:N82E16819115072
$219.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
Item #:N82E16835103065
$29.99

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #:N82E16820233223
$99.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Item #:N82E16832116986
$99.99

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : time gaming build

January 6, 2012 5:26:36 PM

h67 motherboard + unlocked core i5 2500k isn't a good combo.
the h67 chipset won't allow cpu overclocking. the 2500k's hd300 igp will be disabled because you're getting the gtx 560 ti.
if you want to oc the cpu, change the motherboard to a z68 one like asus z68 vpro or gigabyte z68 ud3something or asrock extreme 4 gen3 - depending on your budget.
if you don't want to oc but want to use the h67 motherboard, then a locked core i5 2500 will do - it has the same features as the 2500k except it has hd 2000 igp and a locked multiplier.
edit: even if you don't overclick, a z68 motherboard + core i5 2500k is still a good combo because if you change you mind later, you can overclock the cpu. a lot of z68 motherboards allow cfx/sli, so if you want to add another gfx card for extra performance, you can do that too. it also supports ssd caching - using a small ssd to cache important files to improve system responsiveness.
i don't see any revision info on the h67 mobo. make sure it has b3 revision - fixes sata 3 gb/s ports' degradation bug (aka cougar point chipset flaw).
Score
January 6, 2012 5:27:50 PM

Im new here but from what I see in the selected components if you dont plan to overclock you really dont need the 2500k.

Also I notice you should strongly consider a different tower. I have read many bad reviews on that manufacturer. You should get a corsair, cooler master, or roswill imo.

Not sure how stuck you are on the gpu, but you can get an amd 6870 which performs better for much less money.

Another thing to consider is the mobo, if you ever plan to want the upgrade ability of sli/ crossfire you should get a full atx, micro often have cooling issues due to space cramping.

PSU - from the reviews and recommendations I have read seasonic, antec, corsair would be much more reliable choices.

edit: typo
Score
Related resources
January 6, 2012 5:29:35 PM

Get an ATX Z68 mobo as H67 doesn't allow overclocking which defeats the point of the i5 2500k.
Score
January 6, 2012 5:32:02 PM

drock_78 said:
Im new here but from what I see in the selected components if you dont plan to overclock you really dont need the 2500k.

Also I notice you should strongly consider a different tower. I have read many bad reviews on that manufacturer. You should get a corsair, cooler master, or roswill imo.

Not sure how stuck you are on the gpu, but you can get an amd 6780which performs better for much less money.

Another thing to consider is the mobo, if you ever plan to want the upgrade ability of sli/ crossfire you should get a full atx, micro often have cooling issues due to space cramping.

PSU - from the reviews and recommendations I have read seasonic, antec, corsair would be much more reliable choices.

There is no 6780 and even if you're referring to 6870, gtx 560 ti dominates the 6870. The case the op picked isn't bad its just huge. Also, the PCPC psu's are really nice.
Score
January 6, 2012 5:32:54 PM

And 16gb of ram is serious overkill.. Most will agree 4gb is enough for gaming, but with the small price difference would recommend 8gb in 2 sticks to allow future upgrade of 2 more if needed later on.
Score
January 6, 2012 5:34:15 PM

I'll take a look at the motherboard for sure, seems like the consensus.

Drock: I did see some things listed on the tower, was kinda on the fence about it. As for the GPU, im kinda stuck in my GeForce ways but I will take a look.

Edit: Yea, the RAM is overkill....got a little carried away on that one :D 

Thanks all for the quick responses.
Score
January 6, 2012 5:37:29 PM

samuelspark said:
There is no 6780 and even if you're referring to 6870, gtx 560 ti dominates the 6870. The case the op picked isn't bad its just huge. Also, the PCPC psu's are really nice.

Ahh yea my bad, I meant the 6950.. But the 560ti is only slightly better than the 6870 as well.. Certainly not domination, and almost 100$ cheaper..

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/188
Score
January 6, 2012 5:38:33 PM

samuelspark said:
Get an ATX Z68 mobo as H67 doesn't allow overclocking which defeats the point of the i5 2500k.

Is there a perticular brand you'd lean towards?
Score
January 6, 2012 5:39:32 PM

xaigion said:

Asus or gigabyte imo

some say asrock is good, but its just asus budget made board!
Score
January 6, 2012 5:42:58 PM

Go for a z68 motherboard and OC the 2500k. Since you want OC feedback here it is: YES! OC the 2500k. It is relatively easy and very rewarding.

If you are getting a full sized case, you might as well get a full sized ATX motherboard. z68 chipset with support for SLI/XFire (if you choose to later on) is the way to go. If you are serious or semi-serious about SLI/XFire then get a nice motherboard with enough room between the full-sized PCI slots to allow two cards (or three if you plan to) to breathe.

As far as your TV's resolution - use your TV's native resolution. If it is a 1080p TV then your res will be 1920x1080 and that will look best. If its 720p then use 1280x720 and that will look best. Obviously the higher resolution will be harder on your graphics card so plan accordingly. A gtx560ti does 1080p and lower pretty well. I wouldn't go with any lesser GPU unless you want to turn settings down significantly.
Score
January 6, 2012 5:47:16 PM

xaigion said:

I've always used and recommended Asus motherboards. Have always had and heard great experiences. My biggest complaint with Asus motherboards is their optional software add-ons (Like PC Probe temp/fan monitor - garbage but there are better free utilities anyway).
Score
January 6, 2012 5:50:12 PM

Any reason you are putting a Micro ATX motherboard in a full ATX case? If you are not trying to save space on the size of the case (either for HTPC configuration or something), then go with a full size ATX Mobo for added expandability.
Score
January 6, 2012 5:52:38 PM

DaddyW123 said:
Any reason you are putting a Micro ATX motherboard in a full ATX case? If you are not trying to save space on the size of the case (either for HTPC configuration or something), then go with a full size ATX Mobo for added expandability.

Simple answer? Didnt even think about it. I'm definately going to switch that out.
Score
January 6, 2012 5:58:34 PM

Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI are all really good.
@drock, 560 Ti is only about 30-40 bucks more expensive not to mention like 3 inches shorter.
Score

Best solution

January 6, 2012 5:58:35 PM

Mobo, not bad, but pair it with a 2500 not a 2500K. If you want to OC the processor then you will need a different mobo. Also you will not be able to SLI with this board, but you could run 2 separate GPUs if needed. It will do xFire, but with limited success due to the northbridge.

Processor, again, stick with the 2500 if you want to keep this mobo. Also look at microcenter for CPUs as they are way cheaper.

CPU Cooler, completely unnecessary as you cannot OC on this mobo. At stock speeds the stock cooler is quite excelent and very quiet. If silence is what you are going for then keep it. But I suggest that you try the stock cooler first, and if you dont like it then buy the aftermarket cooler later.

Ram, bad link. I think you meant http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which is 8GB for $40. 4GB is plenty for today, 8GB is plenty for tomorrow, but 16GB is just the starting point if doing video editing/rendering. I would stick with 8GB for now, buy more later if you need it (very unlikely)

SSD, not bad, decent price, I think you will be happy. Getting a mobo with a z68 chipset and SATA3 ports will get more performance and options from the drive. Be sure to read the Tom's SSD primers to set things up properly. 60GB is not a lot of space, but plenty for an OS and some programs. Games will have to be installed on the larger HDD.

HDD, not bad, hold off on purchase if possible as HDD prices are droping very rapidly as HDD manufacturers are getting back to normal. In a few months this drive will only cost $80-100, and by the fall/winter it will be back to $50

Case, cute case. I like lanLi's designs, but they tend to be overpriced. This one happens to be $30 off, so I would jump on it now. Make sure there is clearance for the CPU cooler if you plan on keeping it. They require very wide cases.

GPU, good, but AMD may be cheaper/performance as mentioned by drock. Also the mobo will not support SLi so that would be another reason to buy AMD this time around. Your monitor/TV is 1080p, so look at game reviews running your GPU at 1920x1080/60fps to get an idea of what kind of performance to expect. So long as the ratings are above 60fps then you are golden, and anything above 30fps is playable.

Power, overkill. As stated, you cannot SLi or OC on this mobo, so your total system usage will be ~500W max, so I would buy a PSU to match that. Great brand though, PCPnC is by far the best quality PSU company out there, and they have a great warranty. They have recently been bought out by OCZ, so there was a fear of quality going down, but I have not heard of any problems so far. Keep in mind that as OCZ has purchased them the OCZ brand has gotten much better and may be a little cheaper (thus what I purchased). If changing the mobo, and expecting to use 2 GPUs then I would keep this PSU.

Overall it's a good build. I would suggest moving up to an MSI military class p67 board with SLi support, or an ASUS/ASRock z68 board (see my sig) if you want to have the ability to OC the processor, or run SLi, but if you are not overclocking, and are sticking with a single GPU I think you will be just fine with what you picked out.

Check zipzoomfly and microcenter for better prices/sales, but you cannot go too far wrong with newegg.

Just noticed, no blue-ray player. A blue ray player/DVD burner is a must for this build if you plan on watching movies. they are not too expensive. General rule of thumb for optical drives is to buy what is cheap as the burning laser will die in 2-4 years (with regular use) no matter what brand you use. The reading laser should last just about forever no mater what brand.

Best of luck to ya!
January 6, 2012 6:04:19 PM

CaedenV: Thanks for the indepth response, its very helpful.

Definately going with a different motherboard which I linked slightly up thread.
OC: seems to be a great idea I will probably keep the cooler and the power supply as is.
RAM: based on other comments I was thinking of cutting it down to 8gig, glad to hear you agree.
HDD: definately waiting for prices to come back down, I am going to pull my 500gb from my old tower so I should be good short term on that.
Debating on the Blu-ray player, as I have one already attached to the TV. I can always add it later if needed.
Score
January 6, 2012 6:21:38 PM

Ya, my normal system usage is ~2GB, or 3GB when gaming. However when video editing (1080p footage) it jumps up to ~14-15GB which means that I am capping out my Ram and that I need to buy 8GB modules down the line when prices come down (Premiere reserves a %age of ram for OS and other programs). But the point is that 8GB is overkill, and 16GB is just insane unless you are doing production work.

Check Anandtech for easier to read GPU benchmarks, find the games you want to play, and get a GPU which will play them at 1920x1080 above 30fps and preferably averaging 60fps. Then, as new games come out and your system cannot keep up then purchase the 2nd GPU at that point. Unless money is no object, but then you would have picked a 590 or something insane like that :p  . I am a huge nVidia fanboy, but AMD really has the most bang for the buck on mid range cards right now. I would have gotten one myself except that I needed/wanted CUDA for Adobe Premiere (and boy does it make a difference!). However, that may all change as AMD is coming out with new cards this month, and nVidia is coming out with new cards in April.

If you have a dedicated blue ray player then I would use that instead. blue ray on the PC is a little faster on the seek time when skipping around a video, but the interface is more of a pain than a good 'ol remote control.

z68 mobos are good, but the only real feature gained is SSD caching. I would pick a high quality p67 board over a low quality z68 board with the price being equal unless doing SSD caching (which you are not), or in need of virtu for video rendering/transcoding (which is highly unlikely). I love MSI boards (the solid cap ones last FOREVER), but they do not make a good z68 board yet. I would go MSI for the p67 in a heartbeat (and almost did), but for z68 I would stick with ASUS or ASRock.

good luck!
Score
January 6, 2012 6:39:32 PM

Thanks all for the great advice, I feel confident on starting to buy the components for this build. As always, the community here is very helpful.
Score
January 16, 2012 12:20:53 PM

Best answer selected by Xaigion.
Score
!