New Hardware, New Problems

coogah88

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Helped a friend upgrade a few components on his computer, processor, memory, and motherboard (graphics cards stayed the same, 880GT's) and we are having problems with games no... Battlefront II will crash to desktop whenever we try to launch a game, Portal II through Steam will launch and instantly crash to desktop.... I took my 460GTX and put it in his machine and same problem... This will happen with either card, he has two.

Just ran Unigine to see if the computer was even capable of 3D output and it ran for a few minutes without a problem. We also can stream videos and tv shows without a problem too.
Memory isn't a cause, I took a stick of mine and used that as the only stick in the system (still crashed). Motherboard shouldn't be a problem, I used it as with almost the same setup he does except different GPU and memory. Extra CPU cores were unlocked and also reset to normal and this problem still persisted.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Kind of stumped...

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Being you changed motherboard did you also reinstall windows?

although sometimes you done "HAVE" to its always a better idea to do it when you have such a major hardware change.

use something like CCleaner to remove your graphics drivers and download and install new ones from the nvidia site.

I would uninstall steam and then reinstall it. This might be a pain to do but for some reason steam is a problomatic piece of **** software that does nothing but cause problems. When I have trouble with any game or video card I always remove steam and then reinstall it.

coogah88

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
@Hugo: A recent motherboard change left my computer 100% operable (at least so far), so I thought with Windows 7 perhaps there was a chance that this would work as well, however we are backing up items for a re-install. I didn't use CCleaner to uninstall drivers, but I did a Control Panel uninstall/CCleaner registry sweep and then a re-install of drivers, which didn't work.

@Inzone: I've lucked out with Steam so far *knock on wood* Has Steam also affected games NOT downloaded through Steam? Battlefront is a retail copy, however Portal II was Steam.

coogah88

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
So we just re-installed Windows 7 and....no go. Went straight to driver DL's and booted up a game and it crashed in the same spot.

Not to put words in anyone's mouth but could it be a power issue?

Specs on the computer: MSI 870A-G54 MB, Phenom II 555, XMS3 2x2GB, 8800GT GPU.