ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS dual boot pc / mac w/o virtualization

timelord6

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hello,

I have come here recommended by a friend, because I've exhausted all other options with ASUS, TigerDirect, nVidia, Apple, Intel, and Microsoft. Supposedly what I ask cannot be done, and as scientists and computer wizards, we know that is not the case, theres always a way around problems. I have a computer engineering degree, but i have not been faithful in keeping up with technology for 5 years becuase another career oppurtunity has presented it self. So I present you with the challange of challanges.

My friend Mike is a video editor at USC's film school. When student filmmakers take the raw footage (uncompressed blu-ray quality) and bring it to a computer, they use one of the following programs: Apple Final Cut (Mac OSX only), Sony Vegas (Microsoft only), Adobe CS6 Suite (any), ProTools (any), or a few other minor programs. From a business standpoint, Mike would like to be the GO-TO guy, for every program, with every possible codec, without having to waste sometimes 4-8 hours converting files (some of which do NOT convert) from Mac to Windows (or vice versa).

So he has asked me to build him a computer, without virtualization or virtual machine, without Parallels, and without lagging, without two towers, without conversion time, futureproof as best as possible, and all under $4000.00.

Here is my thoughts on the best possible set up, but I'm being told it will not work at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0 SSI EEB, (4) PCI-e x16, Quad GPU support DDR3 2133

CPU: (Option 1) - (quanitity 2) Intel Core i7-3970x Extreme Sandy Bridge-E 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 150 W Six-core proccessor, 32 nm, 15MB L3 Cache, 6 x 256kb L2 Cache

(option 2 was recommended using (2) Intel Xeon E5-2678W @ 3.1GHz, 20MB L3 Cache, 8C, rev.C2)

RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32 GB (8 x 4GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2800, Timing 11-14-14-35, Cas Latency 11, 1.65 V

Power: Cooler Master RS-A50-SPHA-D3 Silent Pro Hybrid 1050W Intel ATX 12V with panel control (might need 1200W)

Case: Cooler Master HAF X RC-942-KKN1 ATX Full Tower, (2) USB 3.0, (2) USB 2.0, Audio, Mic, eSATA, 1394a

(I'm being told that case is too small, or doesn't allow enough room for cooling, so try maybe the CORSAIR Obsidian 900D)

Graphics: (Option 1) (1) nVidia Quadro 6000 6GB (i believe since this is more for gaming and not rendering, that other cards with higher CUDA core count might be better)

(Option 2) (1) ASUS GTX 690 4GB

(Option 3) (1) ASUS GTX TITAN 6GB

Either way i Need 2 HD LED monitors thru DVI or HDMI, 2560 x 1440 (2K to 5K compatible if possible I don't think its out yet), 3D Stereoscopic (this isn't a must have), OpenCL

SSD: OCZ Vertex 256GB SATA III MLC (i will have one loaded with Mac OSX and another loaded with Windows 7, these drives will also have those editing programs listed, all "data" will be stored on HDD)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

(one for storing Apple, one for storing Windows 7)

Optical: LG 14x Blu-ray burner, 3D ready

Media: Dashboard for extra USB 2-3.0 slots, 5-in-1 SD card readers, temp control, self diagnostics, fan speed, filter check, etc.

Cooling: Obviously with two sockets, I'll need two radiators, which means, I won't be able to run a normal closed-loop system, I'll have to customize my own water cooling. Probably around 10 fans as well.

Audio: THX Certified 7.1 surround Dolby Digital DTS HD EAX Enviromental Audio, 24-bit minimum from SoundBlaster.

Backup: 2TB-6TB Raid 0 Tower, external maybe.

Miscellaneous: Possible compatibililty with Thunderbolt connections.
Trend Micro Security Ultimate 1-license.
Bootable USB with Windows XP
Wants to run Skyrim with 100 mods.
monitors aren't built in as he already has access to great minotors.

So in short, heres the process he's looking for:

Someone brings a file, windows codec.
He boots his computer, selects windows 7.
Does his editing work. Maybe needs to send the file to the apple drive.
Reboots, selects Mac OSX (or watever apple o/s). Cleans up that file. Sends that file back to the windows drive (either by a direct connection, USB, Thudnerbolt, or a 100Gb/s Switch connecting the two HDD).
Reboots. Finishes the file, its in the can.

Final Thoughts:

He prefer not to reboot all the time, if possible.

There must be a way to set up two separate BIOS on this board, since its compatible with both O/S, without virtualizing.
Now if the virtualization (estimated 15% degradation of resources by ASUS) won't be noticable, or only slightly noticable, I will do that for him, but I'm sure there is a way to set up two separate BIOS.

When we are talkign uncompressed Blu-ray footage, its upwards of 15-25 GB of data, thus the idea of using a 100Gb/s switch between the two HDD.

If i can fix the BIOS problem, most of these issues are solved.

I don't think overclocking is neccessary with the XEON processors.

Spring Break for USC is March 17th to the 24th, 2013. I would like the computer to be built (TigerDirect said for $180 they will build it, put as many men on it as possible to complete it in one day), and ready to test when Mike arrives. All I want to do during that week is load these programs and test test test.

Thanks again for all your help and feedback

I have a PC using the dual boot win7/win8, but don't try the dual win7/OSX. And I add the link for how to dual boot win7/OSX.

You have to reboot the PC each time when use the win7 or OSX.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-dual-boot-mac-os-x-and-windows-7-complete-work-through/

timelord6

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I appreciate the quick response time on this. Would your method still allow the Mac (or Windows) boot to run at full resources? Or am I going to take a hit as if its being virtualized? Making sure I can still run the video editing a full blast is paramount.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
It's going to be pretty hard to find the drivers for your hardware. Plus, you'd have to do some hacking to get the install disk to even work because I believe it looks for a specific EFI not a typical PC BIOS.

Moreover, last time I checked, running the Mac OS on PC hardware was a violation of the EULA. Therefore, it's illegal.