Suddenly no power

dreyankee

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I built my new pc two weeks ago,and everything has been running really smoothly. Today I was working in a word document and listening to iTunes,so not exactly testing the computer's limits. I plugged my headphones into the spot on the back of my computer,lost power and can't get it to turn back on. Did I fry the motherboard, did the psu go bad or something else that I'm overlooking? The only other psu that I have to test if mine went bad is a 450w that I'm not sure can handle my new build.

Gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h
I5-3570k
Sapphire 7950
Corsair tx650v2

dreyankee

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I tried that and nothing happened. I guess I'll start the RMA process on that. Is it pretty likely that's all that went bad or does a bad power supply drag other components down with it when it dies?

BerylLee

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
can you reboot system with the same devices now ? if not .. try to disconnect all devices and clear cmos once, insert only cpu, one dimm of memory, psu and necessary power connectors .. and try to boot it again ..

My guess is that connecting the headphones jack caused a short and damaged the power supply. I'd RMA the PSU and after getting the replacement check again all connections and test the board. Check also (or have someone checking) if the wall socket is grounded.