Assist me in my build please?

Lennon95

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
how does thisbuild sound please help me, i want to be able to max most games. my last build did NOT go well.

Case: http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Phantom-Tower-Gaming-Case/dp/B006I2H084

Internal Expansion: ( [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules )

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache) EDIT: it is oc'd ~20%

Cooling: ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155]

Ram: 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 - 1.2GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

Hard Drive: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

PSU: 850 Watt - XFX Core Edition PRO

Questions: 1.) How is the cpu for gaming? Skyrim especially? With my GPU will there be any bottlenecking?
2.) What exactly is internal expansion? Is it necessary?
3.) Is there enough cooling?
4.) Is the PSU enough, and is it a good PSU. my last one broke within one day of getting my pc and i was furious.
5.) Overall what do you think of this build?

Solution
1) The 2500K is as good as it gets for gaming.

2) Totally un necessary.

3) Pretty case, but I don't see enough front intake fans. If you have at least two 120mm intake fans and a equal sized exhaust area, then cooling will be good.
For a single GTX570, I think it will be ok though.
Get a case you love, spend more if you have to for one, you will have it for a long time.
Here is an Antec 300 illusion for half the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

4) XFX is Among the best psu's. It is stronger than you need for a single GTX570. 750w would be strong enough for even a GTX590.
I am not a big fan of planning for sli.

5) Other thoughts:
a. Don't waste your money on a...
What didn't work from your last build? I don't know what problems you are trying to avoid here.

1) Sounds fine
2) Not necessary afaik. Sounds like it allows you to plug in USB things inside the case rather than outside it.
3) Should be, just max out the number of fans and stuff.
4) This is a very good PSU. World class even. It would work even if you added another 570 at the same time.
5) Pretty generic, but good.

www.lifetimeprogress.net/files/pcplanningguide.doc

The above is a link to a guide I am making for how to be maximally likely to have your computer work the first time with no problems and it talks about some things to look out for with each item. You may want to look over it.

You don't mention the RAM maker, but that and the PSU are your biggest causes for concern. The PSU is fine, I would look at the guide RAM section, though.

Lennon95

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

the ram is corsair, sorry i didnt mention. ok, so you said with the internal extension stuff, it has usb ports on the inside? is this as well as the outside? i mean there would have to be usb ports on the outside with the mobo and the case right?

oh and what do you mean by generic?

Yes, it will also have USB ports on the outside. There are ports for these on the motherboard that are always facing outside the case.

Some people like to install USB things internally, and it sounds like that is what is going on with the case.

By generic I mean that it is pretty common as far as such builds usually go. Nothing overly special about it. The same sort of builds get suggested around here commonly.

Lennon95

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

i dont mind if its generic, i just want it to run most games (skyrim mostly) on ultra at good frame rates, will i be getting this with this rig?

1) The 2500K is as good as it gets for gaming.

2) Totally un necessary.

3) Pretty case, but I don't see enough front intake fans. If you have at least two 120mm intake fans and a equal sized exhaust area, then cooling will be good.
For a single GTX570, I think it will be ok though.
Get a case you love, spend more if you have to for one, you will have it for a long time.
Here is an Antec 300 illusion for half the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

4) XFX is Among the best psu's. It is stronger than you need for a single GTX570. 750w would be strong enough for even a GTX590.
I am not a big fan of planning for sli.

5) Other thoughts:
a. Don't waste your money on a liquid cpu cooler. They are not importantly more efficient than a decent air cooler. The 2500K overclocks nicely with a $30 cooler like the Xigmatek gaia or cm hyper212.
How much better than 4.0-4.5 do you really need to be?
b. Considering the current high price of hard drives, consider starting with a 80-120gb ssd. By the time you run out of room, hard drive prices should be back to normal.

c. 8gb(2 x 4gb) ddr3 1600 1.5v is good. 1.5v ram does not need heat spreaders, don't pay extra for them. Tall heat spreaders also get in the way of some coolers.

Solution

Lennon95

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

i forgot the gpu is evga superclocked 797 Mhz.
i actually like the look of this case, but did you say there werent enough fans?

You can add a second 120mm intake fan which will help, and will probably do the job.
But it looks to me like the holes behind the intakes with the hard drive cage installed will restrict what actually gets into the case.
I would wait on the extra fan, and see how you do. Extra cooling may not be necessary, and it is very easy to add one later.
Here is a review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/NZXT-Phantom-410-Case-Review/1459/1

The evga GTX570 superclocked is a great card with a direct exhaust type cooler that I prefer.
It will help to extract the heat from the case and keep your cpu cooler.
And, looks do matter... so get the case.