Whats better air cooling or water cooling?

hnijhar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello,
hello, im looking for a cpu cooler for my AMD FX 8150.. my computer case is a Raidmax 238WU.. So im looking for a cooler that will fix my case and is good for my Amd..
Is water cooling better for my AMd 8150 or air cooling,

Can you please post links of the product that is best,. i might over clock a bit and i heard AMD FX 8150 gets really hot.

g-unit1111

Titan
Well first off what cooling system you choose is ultimately determined by the size of your case. Air cooling is generally more fail-proof than a liquid cooling system is. Not too many cases can support a top-mounted dual radiator system like the Corsair H100. Most can support side mounted like the H80.

But a good air cooler must be able to fit within the dimensions of your case, and it's generally better if you install the cooler before you install the motherboard.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
G-unit is right. As I said before, I recommend the H60 because it's probably going to take less room than an air cooled Heatsink and fan, however, the cooling from air Heatsinks and Fans can be on par if not better than all-in-one water cooling solutions. Also, please don't re-post the same question over and over again

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I don't recommend water because it has water. You know all those movies where somebody's in the bathtub, and the hair dryer falls in and they get electrocuted? Think about it. The only advantage to a self-contained CPU water cooling system, aside from its looking cool as a moose, is that it's low profile. You, however, have plenty of room for any air cooler you want with a case eight inches wide. I like to browse Frosty Tech for cooler reviews and bench tests. If you want a recommendation, I say pick one that you like the looks of, and see if it appears fairly high on Frosty Tech's charts. It's a feel-good thang. They all cool OK.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

I actually don't know much about water cooling but, with the use of distilled water and coolant, I thought it wouldn't have an effect on the actual powered devices. However, a leak will cause the system to run no so efficient and actually cause hotter temps.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
Water cooling is never as effective as air cooling unless you build the water cooling yourself...I would always go with an air cooled system, although I worry about his system's size and whether or not the HSF will fit into the case

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

It is true that distilled water is an excellent insulator. High-powered radio tubes are sometimes operated immersed in it. Thing is, that sort of closed system is made of materials that will never introduce impurities into the water, and if distilled water leaks onto your mobo, it isn't distilled water any more---it mixes with whatever is there, like dust. I'm not saying that PC one-piece water coolers are known to leak, but that an air cooler never does.

G

Air Cooling is more then enough if you're not going to drive your system over the clock again and again means an offensive OC.

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Big air cooling is always better than small enclosed water cooling, unless you spend a couple hundred and get a real liquid cooling system. I recommend the thremaltake frio, I built a couple of gaming computers for customers and they work real well. Make sure to use good thermal paste and always put the recomended amount

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Another vote here for big air over small water. Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Prolimatech Megahalems... all are going to out perform the best pre-constructed water solution.

Of course they are called big air for a reason. If you're facing case restrictions, or high profile memory that doesn't allow for these type of coolers than a water cooler is an option. Just make sure if you do go the water cooling route that you pick up a spot cooler for your VRMs. When you remove the fans off the CPU socket you leave a void of circulation and other parts of the motherboard can pay the price.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I jury rigged a solution for my VRM's since I'm using a Corsiar H60. I used the included Corsair fan and zip tied it to my 5.25" cage blowing across them towards the Rad/Fan in the rear. And used the CoolerMaster fan from my Hyper212+ on the rad pulling air outwards(it helps avoid needing to clean it so often as well)

I don't know the temp range for the FX 8150 but my 2500K gets no warmer than 60-65c.

g-unit1111

Titan

Never put more than the right amount either. I applied way too much to one CPU and removing that wasn't fun at all. :lol:

DocLeonard

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I consider your comment as faulty reasoning, if it is not based on proof. Is there a benchmark or testing platform for both air-cooled and water-cooled systems, in terms of system failure percentages, that you can point us to? I'm not talking performance, sound or overall quality, I'm talking actual system breakdown percentages.

What would you prefer; water damage and short-circuits or critical system overheating with a melted CPU and short-circuiting? In my eyes, both systems can randomly deal a good amount of damage to your system. If the extent of the damage is pretty much the same on both ends, you should start looking at the durability of both systems to be able to conclude which one is superior.

Now, to summarize the perks and downsides of both systems:

Water-cooled

+ Silent!
+ easier to clean (no dusty fans) and looks cleaner
+ more stable performance (no dusty fans)
+ better closed thermal circuit (no heat or cold radiating outwards, especially handy if you live in a dormatory or other small space)
+ often more easy to position in your system

- more expensive
- on average, slightly bigger power consumption
- harder to install
- water, if it leaks, hurts your system

Air-cooled

+ no water
+ less power consumption
+ easier to install (unless if you have to unplug the motherboard in the process)
+ cheaper

- collects more dust and loses effectiveness
- takes more space
- is not a closed thermal system
- more noise