Sign in with
Your question

P8z77-v won't boot past post. Dram led is red

Last response: in Motherboards
February 26, 2013 11:12:08 PM

Hey everyone, This problem has a little backstory. I got a new NXZT phantom case so i switched everything over. I was using a asrock z68 pro3 gen3 mobo. I forgot to put the standoffs in the case(due to the fact they didnt send me any, using the ones from my old case). I turned on the power and fried my motherboard.

I then ordered a new p8z77-v from asus from amazon. Still forgetting the standoffs it wouldn't boot past post shorting out at the cpu. I tried everything before inserting the standoffs including cleaning off thermal paste. After inserting the standoffs it finally booted past the cpu but then the dram led light went on. i press the memok! button and it booted into bios hoozah!

After getting everything set up i started downloading drivers forgetting i removed the thermal paste. My core temp app was like bro your cpu is at 99 degrees C. I shut it off and let it cool dwon through the night and bought some AS5 the next morning and applied it. And then the dram light was back. So i unseated everything and noticed i bent some pins in the socket. Tried to fix it but it broke off. Sent it back to amazon for a replacement.

Now my new motherboard arrives today. Thermal paste in on. Everything is hooked up andddddd the dram led comes on. pushed the meok! button it does the turn off cycle to recalibrate but the led doesnt stop blinking. It won't boot past post. Sometimes the led will switch the cpu led then switch right back

I have tried the following:

check the socket for bent pins
each stick of ram in each slot
a different set of ram
unplug wait 5 minutes and try again
boot barebone style, cpu, gpu, ram, cooler

I'm not sure what else to do...I'm suspect that its the psu or the cpu if it happened on two of the same boards.

Specs:

CPU: i5-2400

Ram: Gskill 8x4 and gskill 2x4

Mobo: p8z77-v

psu: corsair hx650w

cooler: stock cooler

Help?

TLDR Computer won't boot past post on two different boards with the dram led staying on
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 11:50:41 PM

i would try with only one stick of memory and if it boot do a memtest ,seen you got 2 king of memory they could be compatibily issue with those memory with the board , how did you install them on the board and if you could check your cpu since intel work on 1.5 volts memory modules ?
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:02:53 AM

I have done all my memory sticks by themselves in each slot
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 12:07:56 AM

does it boot and could you do a memtest on those memory sticks ?
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:21:15 AM

It boots up but there is no visual because it get past the dram led. Is there a way to memtest without being able to to boot to bios?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 12:29:57 AM

if you have another computer that could handle those memory sticks yes,you monitor is plug to the internal video chipset or you have a pci-e graphic card ?
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:40:45 AM

I have a pcie graphic card its a 560ti. I dont have another computer to test it on.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 12:48:10 AM

this card need 2 pci-e power connector and your monitor is connect to the onboard or this card .
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:52:32 AM

i connected he power already and the monitor is connected to the gpu
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 12:55:40 AM

if you remove the card and plug monitor directly to the board does the system boot ?
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:14:50 AM

just tried it. nope didn't work...stays stuck at the dram led
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:22:58 AM

Well if everything worked good with the first board then the board that Amazon replaced for you may have something wrong with it. I suggest you take the whole board to a friends house and do some experimenting there with JUST the motherboard from your PC and the other parts from his, if you see a problem there too, request for another replacement or call Asus maybe they can help out.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 100 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 5:48:05 AM

What are the part numbers of the memory modules you are using?

Seems you have a case of misadventure with the stand-offs either way. And yes that can damage a board as all VRM decoupling caps are through hole as are PCIe and DRAM power and signal pins. Could do some damage to both the onboard devices and your CPU if any of those shorted into the case...
m
l
February 27, 2013 11:24:37 AM

raja@asus said:
What are the part numbers of the memory modules you are using?

Seems you have a case of misadventure with the stand-offs either way. And yes that can damage a board as all VRM decoupling caps are through hole as are PCIe and DRAM power and signal pins. Could do some damage to both the onboard devices and your CPU if any of those shorted into the case...

Hey raja, thanks for takin the time to help me

The two types of ram i tried in the board are
G.Skill F3-1866C10Q-32GAB
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c10q32...

and

G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f310600cl9d8...

XYMan said:
Well if everything worked good with the first board then the board that Amazon replaced for you may have something wrong with it. I suggest you take the whole board to a friends house and do some experimenting there with JUST the motherboard from your PC and the other parts from his, if you see a problem there too, request for another replacement or call Asus maybe they can help out.

The thing that changed for the first board working to not working anymore was that i applied thermal paste and i bent some pins. The thing is i got a little bit of thermal on the top of the cpu but on the green part. Would that effect it starting up?
. I got the same dram issue im getting with this same new board.

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 100 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 11:56:38 AM

metzky said:
Hey raja, thanks for takin the time to help me

The two types of ram i tried in the board are
G.Skill F3-1866C10Q-32GAB
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c10q32...

and

G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f310600cl9d8...

The thing that changed for the first board working to not working anymore was that i applied thermal paste and i bent some pins. The thing is i got a little bit of thermal on the top of the cpu but on the green part. Would that effect it starting up?
. I got the same dram issue im getting with this same new board.

Do you know anyone that builds computer systems? I would suggest you take what you have now to them and ask them for some help putting this system together.

With everything that has happened, there is a chance some of these parts are now faulty. Difficult to diagnose from a distance, but I think asking someone for help at this stage will save from any further mishaps.
m
l
February 27, 2013 2:09:28 PM

raja@asus said:
Do you know anyone that builds computer systems? I would suggest you take what you have now to them and ask them for some help putting this system together.

With everything that has happened, there is a chance some of these parts are now faulty. Difficult to diagnose from a distance, but I think asking someone for help at this stage will save from any further mishaps.

Sorry none of my friends build computers since I'm at college most people just have laptops. The two people that do build are my brother and dad. My dad said to order a new cpu and psu to see if that fixes it due to the fact i haven't tested those parts yet which i just ordered. Hopefully it works because i have no idea what is causing this problem anymore
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 7:49:06 PM

My banhammer has a fresh spammer-stain on it...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 8:02:29 PM

thanks onus
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 28, 2013 1:38:28 AM

if you could try you ram on is system and try is ram on your could that your board is defective .
m
l
!