Need help with a PSU and Case

aquavitae

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
I am in the process of designing a gaming build, and I'm stuck at the PSU and case. I posted some questions about the overall build here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/342764-31-advice-gaming-build#t2570956, but I thought it's probably a good idea to create a new post in this section for my specific PSU and case questions.

My build is:

CPU: Intel i5-2500K
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon 7850 (upgrading to crossfire later)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 250Gb
RAM: 2 x Corsair DDR3-1600 4GB Vengeance

The PSU I need is 650W (to allow for crossfire later on) and I have narrowed it down to four options. All of them have reasonably good reviews, all are 80+ certified, and all can handle crossfire. In price order:

1. Silverstone Strider Essential 700W
2. PS-C650GXE Coolermaster RS650-ACAAE3 GX 650w
3. P1-650S-NLB9 XFX PRO650W Core Edition
4. CMPSU-650TX CORSAIR Enthusiast Series V2 650W

Is there any reason not to get the Silverstone, which is cheapest and has the highest power?

My second question is which case to get, and there are so many options I don't really know where to start. I obviously need something that will contain all the components, including an extra graphics card in the future and possibly extra cooling (if necessary) if I overclock the CPU. I would also like it to support usb3 since the mobo does. I also like the idea of cable management and tool-free. And obviously I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible. Can anyone suggest a case which matches these criteria?

Solution
Hello aquavitae;

What is the price difference between those models?

It might surprise you to know that both the XFX PRO650W and Corsair 650TX V2 are more powerful PSUs, in the way it matters most, than the Silverstone Strider Essential 700W.

If you look at the data plate of the Strider Essential 700W you'll notice that it has a +12V Combined Load rating of 552W or 46Amps.
17-256-072-Z05

The +12V is what's supplying the bulk of power to your system, especially the graphics cards.

In comparison the XFX PRO650W is rated +12V@53A and Corsair 650TX +12V@52A.

Hello aquavitae;

What is the price difference between those models?

It might surprise you to know that both the XFX PRO650W and Corsair 650TX V2 are more powerful PSUs, in the way it matters most, than the Silverstone Strider Essential 700W.

If you look at the data plate of the Strider Essential 700W you'll notice that it has a +12V Combined Load rating of 552W or 46Amps.
17-256-072-Z05

The +12V is what's supplying the bulk of power to your system, especially the graphics cards.

In comparison the XFX PRO650W is rated +12V@53A and Corsair 650TX +12V@52A.

Solution
Saw your other topic and your suggested source of parts.

That gave the prices of the PSUs:
1. Silverstone Strider Essential 700W R826
2. PS-C650GXE Coolermaster RS650-ACAAE3 GX 650w R869
3. P1-650S-NLB9 XFX PRO650W Core Edition R893
4. CMPSU-650TX CORSAIR Enthusiast Series V2 650W R961

I was hoping to find an independent review on that Silverstone ST70F-ES but couldn't locate one.
Most of us like to see independent reviews of the PSUs like this one for XFX PRO 650 W Power Supply Review

I couldn't find anything better at the R650 price of the CM RC-590.
You won't have USB 3.0 front ports - you have'll to use the motherboard USB 3.0 ports at the rear. It will work with your idea of putting the case under a desk. Just make sure it's not close closed in, allowing for decent airflow.

You'll notice in the review the RC 590 is an older model. But it will handle all your parts and it has enough upgradeable cooling options you should be OK there. The HD 7850 2x CFX plan is OK too. They will fit in the case without a problem.
Cooler Master Centurion 590

aquavitae

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for posting the prices, I should have done so to start with!

So I assume that the Silverstone is probably not a great buy. How about the Coolermaster then? Or is it worth going straight up to the XFX or Corsair?

Thanks for the advice on the case - I'll get that one then!

Corsair, get the corsair. Cooler Master is a good brand for PSU's but they more master the cases. Most corsair PSU's do their real rated power output and sometimes a little more. I am doing two way SLI on my TX 750 v2 and havnt had any issues power wise. And thats not all this puppy is running. Last time i checked i believe my PSU was like 100$ on newegg.

It's too early to rule out the Silverstone Strider.
But you can see there's a reason it's less expensive.
The CM GX 650W is not one I'd recommend with the better XFX 650W just R24 difference.

Do your final budget calculations and see if you can squeeze the XFX PRO 650W into the budget.

aquavitae

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012

The prices are not hugely different, and if the XFX is worth it I can certainly include it. Is it corsair worth the extra R68 above that? I could stretch to it to if it is really worth it, or I could spend a bit more on the case - my current budget will allow about an extra R100 on either the PSU or case.

I agree that the Corsair or the XFX is the way to go...XFX if it's less expensive. As WR2 pointed out, Seasonic is the OEM for both PSUs. Coolermaster, however is NOT a good PSU mfr. They have a bad habit of lying in PSU ratings and overstating PSU capability. Stay away from Coolermaster PSUs.