Opinion needed on a new build

michaelru

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi.
I'm building a new gaming system and i need your opinion on what i'm thinking of buying:

CPU: Intel I5 2500 3.3GHZ

CPU cooling: Scythe KATANA 3

GPU: 2*SAPPHIRE HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 in crossfire

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3

PSU: Seasonic 620W Modular Active PFC Retail 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply

Ram: Crucial 4GB DDR3 -1333

Case: Fractal Design core 3000

HDD: western digital black caviar 1tb

I'm hoping that this system will run all the current games maxed out at 1920X1080
So what do you think? :)

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
I would do 2 things differently...First, I would buy an intel i5 2500k because of the unlocked multiplier (means that you can OC). I would also buy a 500GB HDD since prices are so high up...then the money saved, I would buy 8GB of RAM for a little more headroom

michaelru

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
i'm not planning on overclocking the cpu, this is why i didn't go for the i5 2500k.
i already have the 1TB HDD (it's used in my current computer). and i'm taking 8GB of ram (i forgot to mention that i'm getting two 4GB cards).

so basically, how good is this system going to be? would i be able to run the most recent games on ULTRA in fullHD?
thanks!

AbdullahG

Distinguished
What is your budget?

The i5 2500K is only a few dollars more than the i5 2500.
It's worth it, even though you will not OC.
However, I recommend learning how to OC.
It really can boost performance significantly, and for $10 to $15 to be able to OC to 4.5GHz with the a budget CPU cooler, it's a great deal.

For the CPU cooler, I'd recommend the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ or Hyper Evo.
Around the same price, and they are a favored choice for great coolers at a low price.

For your motherboard, consider these:
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Everything else is fine and you should expect great performance.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
Well first: 2things
1. If you're not going to overclock, then don't go with the i5 2500, go with the i5 2400, it'll save you around $20 and the performance is extremely similar.
2. If you decide to go with the i5 2500k then as AbdullahG said, you need an aftermarket heatsink and fan to OC the CPU. His suggestions are great. However, if you're not OCing, then stick with the stock fan, it works perfectly well

michaelru

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
1.i'm not going to overclock so i'll go with the i5 2500 (the difference between the 2500 and 2400 is about 1$ where i'm buying the PC)

2.although i'm not going to overclock i'm still getting some cooling for the CPU (i'm getting the Scythe KATANA 3) because i'm living in a place with a hot climate-during summer the temperature is about 90F.

i think that i'll just stick with the system i've posted, thanks for the help!