Daylight savings time killed my second monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixl8

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Seriously... the morning after the time change, I came into my office to find my win7 box had rebooted and was stuck at the "Loading Operating System" screen. Tracked that down to the boot HD setting in the bios set on the wrong drive. Things had been running smoothly with no recent changes to the system so I have no idea what caused that setting to change. Since then, I've been unable to get my second monitor to get a signal. I've got a GeForce GTX580 and both DVI ports work, just not at the same time for some reason. Both monitors have been tested and work individually as well. At post, only one screen comes up (no mirror) which is not the norm.

I've tried:

updating the Nvidia drivers
flashing the bios
resetting bios to optimized defaults
banging my head against the wall

No luck with any of those.

My next move is to go get a new card from Frys and swap it to see if that's the culprit, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any ideas for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Will

Solution
Huh. I would say that card may have failed. I hate suggesting to buy a new card and test it, as if it still doesn't work then you just wasted money... unless you buy the same card you had before and SLI...

But I can't think of any real troubleshooting here. Did you swap monitors to see if the primary monitor will work as the secondary? Have you tried to completely uninstall the drivers, then install them again (rather than just upgrading).

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Huh. I would say that card may have failed. I hate suggesting to buy a new card and test it, as if it still doesn't work then you just wasted money... unless you buy the same card you had before and SLI...

But I can't think of any real troubleshooting here. Did you swap monitors to see if the primary monitor will work as the secondary? Have you tried to completely uninstall the drivers, then install them again (rather than just upgrading).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.