OEM Intel CPU. is it worth?

Johnny Mnemonic

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi.
Sorry for my english.

I need to buy Core i3-2120.

Is it worth to buy OEM?
Is it safe, i mean , what if "new" cpu actually will be old or damaged cpu, how to check it?

I have 2 local shops:
1 is good, but it have only oem cpu.
2 is not good , but it have both , boxed and oem cpu.
What you think, what to buy.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
OEM = original equipment manufacturer. OEM cpus usually have shorter warranties and dont come with a heatsink/fan. Boxed intel cpus have a 3 year warranty while an OEM intel cpu has a 1 year warranty.

Johnny Mnemonic

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for fast answer.

I don't need a heatsink, but how can I distinguish an brand new OEM cpu from used OEM cpu? Every OEM cpu don't have any packaging and looks the same.

Sorry for my english.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
look at the top of the cpu for scratches and marks and use your best judgement. a new cpu shouldnt have had contact with thermal paste and a heatsink and should have a nice shiny smooth surface

Johnny Mnemonic

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for answer. But...

Why OEM cpu have a shorter warranty. Is it because, OEM cpu don't have any protection (cardboard box, some plastic, etc.) or what?

OEM CPUs have shorter warranties because they are meant to be sold to brands like Dell and HP who buys them in bulk and would place them in desktop PCs to sell to people like you and me. It would then be Dell's or HP's responsibility to provide a warranty for the entire PC to their customers whether it will be a 1 year or 3 year warranty.

Just in case you didn't know Johnny Mnemonic the movie was really, really bad.

The reason for OEM processors to have a shorter warranty is to lower the cost to the system builder. Since their goal is to put a system in your hands for the lowest cost they can sacrifice the warranty since they hope to sale you replacement parts or a new system if it should go bad.

There are really two major differences between boxed (retail) and OEM processors they are the warranty and that the OEM doesn't come with a HSF (heatsink/fan).

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Hi Christian :)

Owning Computer shops, I buy a lot of Oem stuff...including CPU`s and software...

Not thought about this before but are OEM cpu`s "meant" to be sold to the public ? As a standalone CPU (not in a machine)

We dont as more profit in Retail lol...

But I am thinking along the lines of OEM software "meant" to be sold "with" hardware etc....

So as an example, if a member of the public came back direct to Intel with a blown OEM cpu from overclocking (unlikely I know)

What would Intels response be ?

Would it be...go back to the retailer who should not have sold you an OEM cpu, or would it not bother Intel ?

All the best Brett :)