Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 560 Ti (OEM) vs. Radeon HD 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2011 4:21:29 AM

My current desktop computer just broke down, and since it's several years old, I am planning to buy a new one. There is currently a pretty good deal on Dell for an XPS8300 that I'm wanting to buy, but I'd like some advice on which graphics card to choose.

Card 1: Nvidia® GeForce® GTX560Ti with 1.25GB Memory ($50 cheaper) *
* This is the OEM version, not the retail version. Here is a site that has a quick comparison on the specs between the two.

Card 2: Single AMD Radeon™ HD 6870

My Stats:
- Purchase Date: Within the week
- Usage: Gaming (ME3, Skyrim, SWTOR, etc.), Blu-Ray viewing (not as important)
- Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 24"
- Overclocking: No
- SLI/Crossfire: No
- Previous Card: ATI 4850
- System Setup: Intel i-7 2600, 8GB RAM

I know that there are a lot of comparisons of the Retail version of the 560 Ti (which is faster than the OEM version) and the 6870, but between the OEM and the 6870, which is better? Is the 6870 worth the $50 upgrade for performance?

Dell also equips the computer with only a 460W power supply by default. I asked a customer service rep, who says that they equip the upgraded high-end card PCs with larger PSUs (560-600W). Has anyone who ordered from Dell been able to confirm or deny this? If it just comes with the stock PSU, then power consumption is also a consideration in the purchase decision.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best solution

a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 9:14:16 AM

The psu will be fine, Dell psu's are pretty good.
Don't know about the oem card, worried a bit by the disabled cuda cores. Why do they do that ? On your link they compared that with what nvidea did with the 465 and that is a terrible card.
I think the performance might be the same for the 6870 and the oem 560 but the 6870 is a "real"card, not a cut down one. Is it worth 50 bucks more ? Really don't know.
November 9, 2011 9:36:07 AM

OEM doesnt really mean anything, it just means it will come in a plain brown box, with no other stuff, amd you will probably have to get the driver from the website, but that is what you should do anyway.

Hands down - 560Ti will be better than the 6870. Definately, out of those two cards, get the 560Ti. I currently use ATI/AMD graphics cards (2x5850), but I would still have to say that from those two cards, I would much rather have the 560Ti. It's faster.

OEM is nothing to be worried about.
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 9:40:20 AM

RickyT23 said:
OEM doesnt really mean anything, it just means it will come in a plain brown box, with no other stuff, amd you will probably have to get the driver from the website, but that is what you should do anyway.

Hands down - 560Ti will be better than the 6870. Definately, out of those two cards, get the 560Ti. I currently use ATI/AMD graphics cards (2x5850), but I would still have to say that from those two cards, I would much rather have the 560Ti. It's faster.

OEM is nothing to be worried about.

It isn't the same, it has less cuda cores for example.
m
l
November 9, 2011 10:02:58 AM

HA! OK - well that is news to me. I have never seen one of THOSE before. It actually looks like a stripped GTX 570 - the clocks and memory bus are the same. According to that chart though, it has a memory bandwidth of 152 GB/s, which cannot be true if the GTX 570 has the same bandwidth.

OK, well in view of that revelation, I change my reply to "Goodness knows!".

The OEM '560 Ti' might not support future drivers. There is an OEM 8800GT in the computer I am typing on right now (HP), and it doesn't support the latest drivers.

The sad fact is that I would stick to retail cards like robjordy says.

But seriously though - why call a card a GTX560Ti if it isn't a GTX560Ti (WTF - not even close NVidia!)
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 11:24:37 AM

There was a thread about the 570 being stripped down and call it 560, not sure if it was about this one though. ( a thread from forum member Eyefinity )

Agreed ; Nvidea is being :pt1cable:  with this card setup. You would think they learned from the 465 nightmare. Apparently not.

So ; Thumbs up for the 6870 than.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 12:35:48 PM

It really comes down to what you like, both cards in all reality with suit you fine. I would go with the AMD HD 6870 but thats just my personal preference the difference between the two cards isn't going to be so significant that you'll notice anyway.

Also why buy through dell? why not build your own rig and hand pick the parts you want? Its more cost effective and you'll be able to upgrade much easier in the future.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 12:44:31 PM

Quote:
Also why buy through dell? why not build your own rig and hand pick the parts you want? Its more cost effective and you'll be able to upgrade much easier in the future.

Definitely ;) 

...another thing:Graphics BRAND is important, don't forget that. :heink: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 1:05:02 PM

@ vaylie - that GTX 560 Ti OEM from the table that you posted above is weaker than an original 560 Ti AND uses much more power, so consider this before buying it.
m
l
November 9, 2011 1:15:45 PM

With that power supply I would go with the 6870.
m
l
November 15, 2011 11:09:52 PM

Thanks for your answers everyone! And yeah, I know, I know about buying a pre-built PC. I built my last computer, but since it got borked, my parents are forbidding me from building another one. I personally thought I did well enough for it to last a couple of years, but they're being very firm about wanting a pre-built one this time, and they're the ones paying, so yeah. Dell. :lol: 

Anyway, I've decided to go with the 6870 just to be on the safe side.
m
l
November 15, 2011 11:12:56 PM

Best answer selected by vaylie.
m
l
!