Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • EVGA
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 9, 2011 4:44:21 AM

Gday again,

I just installed a Nvidia EVGA GTX580 superclocked 1530mb card on my asus maximus extreme-z iv board,
it all starts up perla and i can go through internet watch movies etc...
i am running windows 7
anyways when i go to play BF3 after about 5 mins of gameplay the game freezes up and pc crashes same thing happens on other games.
Im wondering if this is a power distorbution error.
I have a Antec 1200W PSU but the vid card has an 8 pin connector and a 6.
I have plugged in a 6 Power cord with the 2 little pins to make an 8 and attached another 6 pin to the other connector both on the same PCI express cord.
I was wondering do i have to use the adaptor that came with the card where you can put 2 6 pins into the adapter and turn it into an 8 pin then use a seperate 6 pin for the other port or should it be fine as is ?

Is the card faulty or games set to high IDK ? i just want to play high end games on ULTRA.

Thanks

Jim :bounce: 

More about : nvidia evga gtx580 superclocked crashing games

November 9, 2011 5:34:16 AM

Battlefield 3 has had numerous launch problems. I have 2 GTX 580s and had a nightmare when the game first came out. Some common things to check:
1) Fully uninstall your graphics card drivers, run Ccleaner and remove any remnants, and then reinstall the drivers

2) Check Origin for updates, right click on the battlefield 3 icon in origin and check for updates. After that, do a repair install.

3) Go to the settings in origin and there's somewhere where you can disable origin overlay in game, make sure it is disabled

4) Make sure punkbuster is up to date, check online on how to do this as I don't remember exactly how

5) One thing to check might be the voltage for your GPU core. Download MSI Afterburner and check your voltage settings, and try increasing it a little bit at a time and see if that helps. For example my 580s run at I think 795 mhz (not at home) and the vcore is around 1050 or 1075.

Hope this helps
m
l
November 9, 2011 8:12:53 AM

Quote:
5) One thing to check might be the voltage for your GPU core. Download MSI Afterburner and check your voltage settings, and try increasing it a little bit at a time and see if that helps. For example my 580s run at I think 795 mhz (not at home) and the vcore is around 1050 or 1075.

This. The GTX 500 series (560ti+) has a stock voltage issue where it is too low to maintain DX11 instructions and so crashes. Increase the voltage to around (juuuusssst over) 1V and you should be fine. My GTX570 had this issue for all DX10/11 games until I used MSI afterburner to adjust the voltage. No need to change anything else.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2011 8:48:21 AM

ok i downloaded after burner and the core voltage is at 1088 default should i keep going higher ?
also it just crashed after about 2 mins on TF2 so its getting pretty bad so what level do i raise the vid card to ?
m
l
November 9, 2011 8:53:01 AM

ps. the driver version is at 285.62
m
l
November 9, 2011 10:52:45 PM

im thinking it might be a faulty GPU i relly need this fixed asap so i can play me games on the weekend 0_0
m
l
November 10, 2011 4:25:16 AM

Yeah things don't sound right. If it can't play TF2 well (which is DX9) your card is having some trouble. Your power supply sounds good, motherboard sounds fine.

My personal opinion: Do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers again. Run a few more DX9 games (like any old ones you have lying around). Do they work? Increase the voltage to 1.1V. Try battlefield 3 (or any DX10+ game). If better but still crashes, up a notch and try again till it's silky smooth (keep below 1.5V/75°C). If no, send it in and say it's completely toast. That way you don't sound silly when they test it with DX9 games and send back the same card.
m
l
November 10, 2011 4:27:57 AM

BTW Read this:http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1628407
There are TONNES of threads of people with voltage problems in DX10/11 games (BF3, Crysis, Bioshock, Crysis 2) with GTX580/570.

Like I said before, only test the voltage tweaks AFTER you confirm you can even run DX9 games.
m
l