Bad memory or dimm slot?

Slims1179

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Hello,

1st I just want to let everyone know that I keep trying memtest86 but my computer keeps crashing in the middle of the test.

So anyways other than that, here is the actual issue I am having....

My dell xps 9000 has been crashing on me numerous times for the past year. I get memory management bsod, oral not less or equal errors and a few other ones I can't think of right now.

So I figured I would just restore my computer to the factory settings to see if that would help and it didn't. So I ordered new hyper x ram but decided to test the ram that I do have first before I opened up the new ram.

This is what happens:

I pulled out every stick of ram except for the 1st slot. (I have 6 dimms with 1 gb ram sticks in each)

I rebooted my comp. and it started beeping twice with a pause. So 2 short beeps then pause the 2 short beeps then pause over and over again.

The computer wouldn't even boot up.

So I took that stick out of the 1st slot and put it into the 2nd slot and my computer boots up just fine. I have also tried other sticks in various combinations and the computer works fine. It's only when I use the 1st slot by itself or in combination with other slots where it does the beeping thing.

However when I put all 6 sticks in there it does boot up with no problem but crashes.

So is it safe to say that the particular dimm slot is faulty?

Just so you know:

I have a dell xps 9000
Intel i7 920 2.66
Not sure what mb I have, just one that came with the computer.
6-1gb Samsung memory
Radeon hd 5450

Thanks in advance.

Slims1179

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Well that's exactly what I didn't want to hear. So would my system work ok if I just used slots 2,4 and 6?

And any good motherboard replacement? I am not big on gaming but do use autocad and solid works.

Thanks for the reply.

Slims1179

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Just a quick update for anyone with the same issue, after reading a ton of stuff regarding this issue, I decided to just update my BIOS to the latest A16 was A15 and updated all of my drivers and updates and replaced every stick of RAM. I maxed out my slots with 6x 4gb of Kingston Hyperx Genesis sticks.

Now if boots up fine and quickly and no crashes so far. Seems like problem is fixed!

Thanks for the help.

Chris