Building a PC, could use help selecting motherboard

hang3xc

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Hi,
I am going to build a new PC and there are SOOOOO many motherboards that I am totally lost as far as which one should I get. I don't think I could go really wrong with any decent board, but I'm sure some are better suited to my needs and I'm hoping someone who knows more than me can help me out with that. I was thinking about $200 for the board, but I'm flexible if need be

I got permanently injured awhile back and now am stuck in front of a pc for many hours a day to keep my mind, if not my body, active. I get very bored watching tv.

I don't use the pc for gaming. If I did, I could look at a million great threads regarding good boards for that application.

Anyway, when I am at my pc I typically have Photoshop CS5 going, I like drawing large multi layered documents with a Wacom tablet. I don't know everything about Photoshop, so I typically have a couple Acrobat books open on the subject, along with a couple instances of Windows Explorer so I can easily find files I want to open, one open to books, another open to videos. I also usually have VLC open with a photoshop tutorial video playing, or paused if I'm actively drawing.

In addition to that I'll definitely have a couple web browsers open. One with a handful of tabs opened up on youtube, showing how to color pictures I've drawn, or how to draw in general. On another open browser I might have a dozen tabs open from Liveleak, Reddit, CNN, local newspapers, etc etc. I go to this browser when taking a break from drawing, or learning how to draw. Right now I have a 3rd browser open with some tabs open to this site, some to MicroCenter, and some to Newegg. Chrome uses an absolute ton of memory

While this is going on I very well could also be converting a movie to a different format working in the background and have a game of Spider Solitaire on hold for when I take a break from everything else.

So I guess I multi task quite a bit and have a lot of programs and windows open. It all makes sense to me and is very easy for me to go back and forth. I like it this way... but I hate when I go away from one thing for a bit and it takes awhile for it to get back up to speed when I return to it. I'd like to be able to have everything ready to go quickly even if I went away from it for an hour or so.

I only run on like this so anyone reading will know how I use my pc, and that can help them to help me get the right hardware

I'll probably run Win7 until they no longer support it... and then some (although who knows?)

I was thinking about getting the i5-3570K cpu, but could get an i7 if necessary.

It might be good to have wifi on the board

I was probably going to get a SSD for the OS

I was hoping I could keep my current graphics card, which is a Nvidia GEforce GTX 550 Ti

Was wondering if I should max out the RAM and was looking at Corsair Vengeance Series 32GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL 10 Quad Channel Desktop Memory.

I read something about a new CPU coming out over the summer and also DDR4 RAM coming out at some point in the not too distant future, but it'll all probably be so expensive at first that I think I should build now w/what is available

Current system I built a few years ago:
ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 board
Intel Core-Duo E7200 2.53ghz
Nvidia GEforce GTX 550 Ti
Seagate Barracuda 1gb 7200rpm
4GB RAM

Thanks for any help/advice you can give,
Ron

wudai_e

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Personally I always try to limit my budget for a motherboard around $100 to $150. $200 is more of a budget for SLI or Xfire gaming imo.

If you are planning to buy a new CPU also try Microcenter's website, they have a very competitive combo deal which will lower the cost of the MOBO considerably. My latest single GPU gaming build has a 3770k and a Gigabyte. The board retails around 150, but I got it for 70 bucks purchased with the CPU. Just to give you an idea how much you can save if you are close to one of their stores.

My suggestion is if you are not planning on gaming don't spend that much on a motherboard. Don't get overwhelmed by the selections. Pick just one or two big brands: ASUS Gigabyte etc etc then pick the one that fits your budget. Just make sure the one you pick has the I/O ports you absolutely need.

hang3xc

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012

No Fry's in MA. I only mentioned the "K" because I didn't see that MicroCenter had the non K one. Looks like they don't have that particular board either. I guess I could order online, but motherboards sometimes have problems, so it's nice to be able to go back to the store for an exchange on the day you need it, instead of waiting for mail.

Thanks for the reply